Red face Unanswered: Problem in Oracle-10g(10.2) installation in Solaris-10 (X86)

Hi All,

I am getting an error during installation of Oracle-10g in Solaris-10 as below......

Pls help me out..

================================================== =================
    $ ./runInstaller
    Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking installer requirements...

Checking operating system version: must be 5.10. Actual 5.10
    Passed

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 250 MB. Actual 1768 MB Passed
    Checking swap space: must be greater than 500 MB. Actual 2169 MB Passed

All installer requirements met.

Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2008-09-18_12-25-25PM. Please wait ...
    DISPLAY not set. Please set the DISPLAY and try again.
    Depending on the Unix Shell, you can use one of the following commands as examples to set the DISPLAY environment variable:
    - For csh: % setenv DISPLAY 192.168.1.128:0.0
    - For sh, ksh and bash: $ DISPLAY=192.168.1.128:0.0; export DISPLAY
    Use the following command to see what shell is being used:
    echo $SHELL
    Use the following command to view the current DISPLAY environment variable setting:
    echo $DISPLAY
    - Make sure that client users are authorized to connect to the X Server.
    To enable client users to access the X Server, open an xterm, dtterm or xconsole as the user that started the session and type the following command:
    % xhost +
    To test that the DISPLAY environment variable is set correctly, run a X11 based program that comes with the native operating system such as 'xclock':
    % <full path to xclock.. see below>
    If you are not able to run xclock successfully, please refer to your PC-X Server or OS vendor for further assistance.
    Typical path for xclock: /usr/openwin/bin/xclock
    $ DISPLAY=192.168.1.128:0.0; export DISPLAY
    $ echo $DISPLAY
    192.168.1.128:0.0
    $ ./runInstaller
    Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking installer requirements...

Checking operating system version: must be 5.10. Actual 5.10
    Passed

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 250 MB. Actual 1659 MB Passed
    Checking swap space: must be greater than 500 MB. Actual 2166 MB Passed

All installer requirements met.

Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2008-09-18_12-26-32PM. Please wait ...$ Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using '192.168.1.128:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11Graphic sEnvironment.java:134)
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:141)
    at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvir onment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
    at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:231)
    at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:275)
    at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:401)
    at oracle.ewt.popup.PopupFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at oracle.ewt.lwAWT.BufferedFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at oracle.sysman.oio.oioc.OiocOneClickInstaller.<init >(OiocOneClickInstaller.java:357)
    at oracle.sysman.oio.oioc.OiocOneClickInstaller.main( OiocOneClickInstaller.java:2127)
    ================================================== ========================================

Thanks,
    gohappy

The DISPLAY environmental variable instructs the X-windows where to connect to. Is the variable the same as your IP address that you are using?
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Yes the IP is my LAPTOP IP(192.168.10.1).............

I tried in other way.........I do hash out the DISPLAY line in oraparam.ini, but still getting the same problem.................

I put the ORACLE_HOME,ORACLE_SID,ORACLE_BASE in response file and run the Installer as ./runInstaller -silent -responseFile <response_file>
    The installer started and after root.sh creation , installer hanged up..........

Can I enable the X-window by anyway to support the installation.........

Thanks,
    gohappy

How are you connecting to the solaris server? (telnet, ssh, ...)

Do you have X-Window software running on your laptop?

Have you tried running xclock as usggested in the original error message? If so, what was the result?

Let me know and we can go from there.

I have solaris in my laptop.......I don't connect to any server(solaris). Solaris is locally installed in my lapto and I am trying to install Oracle-10g in my laptop.

Could u pls tell me how to set the display in Solaris-10(X86), so that it will support X-Window which helps to procede the Oracle runInstaller........

xclock is running in ROOT but not in oracle user........still geting the same eroor.....

Thanks for ur interest.....

Cheers,
    gohappy

Have you tried running xwin or xterm which should open up an xterm and then run the runInstaller from there

the IP you listed in DISPLAY is not the same as the IP you listed as
    your laptop ...

If you are ON the host (ie your laptop) then you don't even need
    xterm I believe. that is only used for remote login
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Yes you are absolutely right, as I am installing in my local machine not in remort machine. But I cann't understand why it is asking to set the DISPLAY.

Does the runInstaller need the DISPLAY setting as mandatory.........any idea???

No Luck, facing the same problem..........

Yes, the DISPLAY setting is mandatory if you are doing an interactive install. The value of the DISPLAY setting needs to be the IP address of the machine you are doing the install from. In your case, you are installing on your laptop. So the DISPLAY setting needs to be the IP address of your laptop, 192.168.10.1:0.0

Also, I may be wrong here, but I don't think you have answered the question about having an xwin or xterm emulator working correctly. This is also mandatory to do an interactive install.

I set 192.168.10.1:0.0 in root and when I run the runInstaller (as "oracle" user) it's showing the same error.

Is it possible to install or run any other Xserver to support that runInstaller.?
    How to check wheather xwin or xterm emulator working correctly in my Laptop?

I will try my luck once more ..........

The DISPLAY env variable MUST be set during the run. Having it set for the root user is useless when you are running as the oracle user, it doesn't move over.

Login as the oracle user.
    Set the DISPLAY environmental variable
    Start the installer.

This is all in the install instructions. Have you read them yet?
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

DISPLAY is a session variable, set it as the Oracle user in the session where you are installing Oracle. Are you trying to run the installer from the command line or do you go into XWindows when you log in as "oracle"?

How familiar are you with Solaris? This really does not seem to be an Oracle issue. but rather that you are not familiar enough with the Solaris environment to set it up properly for the Oracle install to work. Unfortunately, it's been years since I have worked with Solaris and I always did the server installs remotely with a graphics terminal emulater like Hummingbird Exceed.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with Solaris and configuring Xwindows to help you out much further. Do you have an Solaris admins that can help you out?

if xclock is not working/displaying then the runinstaller definitely will not work.
    - The_Duck

i looked up some old notes on Solaris.
    1. make sure x11 forwarding is setup
    (you might not need this because you are local)
    2. make sure "xhost +" is set
    3. make sure TERM=xterm is set
    4. make sure DISPLAY=yourIP:0.0 is set

2,3,4 are the most important.
    test by running xclock:
    /usr/openwin/lib/app-defaults/XClock
    - The_Duck