class schedule database

I'm trying to create a database to see which classrooms are in use during the week...

I'm in the process of listing "preliminary field lists", "subjects", and a "table list".

Classes are on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (MWF) or Tuesday and Thursday (TR). Classrooms are designed by building number and room number so a classroom may be A-245 which means building A, room 245. Classes have a start time and end time.

I've came up w/ the following:

Preliminary Field List:
    Day of the week
    Class Name
    Classroom Number
    Building Number
    Start Time
    End Time
    Class Room Capacity
    Class Size

Subjects:
    Class Times
    Class Days
    Class Names
    Class Locations
    Class Room Capacity
    Class Size

Preliminary Table List:
    Class Times
    Class Names
    Class Locations
    Class Size

I've never done this before and wanted to see if you guys though this looked correct. Any help is appreciated.

I need to create a "Final table list" and "table structure" which I'm okay with doing but figure I'd ask you pros on here first.

Final list options for tables are obviously: data table, linking table, subset table and validation table
    Last edited by PaulCky411; 09-21-08 at 17:24.

no one eh?

I take it that the assignment is due tomorrow?

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I take it that the assignment is due tomorrow?

-PatP
    haha, yes sir... thats what i get for waitin til the last day, but no worries, i understand it (i think), i just wanted to see what others thought

Ok, you aren't very close to what I think you want based on your initial description.

To think about tables, think about the nouns that you'd use to describe your problem. Things like buildings, classes, schedules would identify tables.

To think about columns (which I suspect that you're calling fields), think about the adjectives that you'd use to describe the nouns that you've identified. Things like sizes, times, names, room numbers would identify columns.

Depending on the methodology that your class/instructor is using, a subject could be many things. You'll have to pin that one down for me with either a better description, a citation like a URL or a scanned page from a book, or something else... There are too many ways to interpret a "subject" for me to give you any useful guidance yet.

-PatP

Thanks again Pat for your input, it is appreciated... how I've interpreted it so far is like this...

http://img26.picoodle.com/data/img26...Um_6956cde.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PaulCky411
    Thanks again Pat for your input, it is appreciated... how I've interpreted it so far is like this...

http://img26.picoodle.com/data/img26...Um_6956cde.jpg
    Also, i read what you wrote, i get what you're saying but isnt that kinda like what i did already?

I guess that I'd need to understand what you've covered in class so far, and what you are supposed to learn from this exercise.

Trying to interpret this from the survey level (as one chapter in a 100 level business class), I can kind of see where what you've done might be considered a sufficient solution to the problem.

I'm looking at the assignment from the perpective of an early chapter in an "Introduction to Data Modeling" (200 level computer science) class. From that perspective, what you've done wouldn't be a sufficient solution to the problem.

Give me a little guidance here. A syllabus or a school and class name would help. At the very least I'd need to know what kind of institution (community college/trade school, college, university, etc) and what kind of course (business, computer science, etc) to have a reasonable shot at an evaluation.

-PatP

college... it's an "intro to relational database" class...

this is the exact assignment:

Our school has asked us to create a database to track which classrooms are in use during the week. We have trouble scheduling classes at the beginning of the semester and often end up moving classes to a room different than what was printed in our schedule.

Classes are on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (MWF) or Tuesday and Thursday (TR). Classrooms are designed by building number and room number so a classroom may be A-245 which means building A, room 245. Classes have a start time and end time.

1. A preliminary field list, list of subjects and table list.

2. A Final Table List and Table Structure like Figures 7.34 and 7.35 respectively.

im not sure if what i did was right but after reading the chapters in the book, that's all i can manage to come up with

Ok, an "intro" class ought to be 100 level. Without knowing more than that, I'd say that you're on the right track and depending on what's been covered so far you may be at "good enough to hand in" already.

It's late in Beantown, and here too.

Just an observation, but next time you probably ought to hit the assignment a wee bit earlier! While all-nighters are good for the soul, they are really tough on the body and can hammer your grade-point something fierce. While it takes some discipline to get the assignment done ASAP so that you can goof off the night before it is due, getting into the habit makes life a lot easier and it really does feel good to sleep at least now and then!

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Ok, an "intro" class ought to be 100 level. Without knowing more than that, I'd say that you're on the right track and depending on what's been covered so far you may be at "good enough to hand in" already.

It's late in Beantown, and here too.

Just an observation, but next time you probably ought to hit the assignment a wee bit earlier! While all-nighters are good for the soul, they are really tough on the body and can hammer your grade-point something fierce. While it takes some discipline to get the assignment done ASAP so that you can goof off the night before it is due, getting into the habit makes life a lot easier and it really does feel good to sleep at least now and then!

-PatP
    haha, i know, i know!

it's weird, i normally get everything done for every single class BESIDES this one early, i really don't know why, but it's just the way it's been going...

thanks for all the help, i really do appreciate it!

next time, expect a question a few days in advance! haha

If I could give a single piece of advice it'd be: do the assignment the day it gets set and hand it in the following day (early) as a first draft. Then your tutor can provide some feedback and hand you the assignment back for improvement.

I did this for my physics in my final year and pulled my grade up from a D to a B
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    If I could give a single piece of advice it'd be: do the assignment the day it gets set and hand it in the following day (early) as a first draft. Then your tutor can provide some feedback and hand you the assignment back for improvement.

I did this for my physics in my final year and pulled my grade up from a D to a B
    I agree with you, which is why I'm starting my next assignment right now instead of waiting until sunday night...