Question Unanswered: multi user question

I want different users from different computers to be able to access my database information simultaneously. I haven't been having any issues until both users on separate computers tried to access a form which houses excel spreadsheets with information. When one user tries to click "next record" it says "could not save; locked by another user" and will not go to the next record. What can I do so everyone can use this simultaneously? Thanks!

Provided Answers: 1
    I'd recommend splitting your database into a front and back end if you're going to have multiple simultaneous users.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

What exactly does database splitting do? I just basically want everyone to be able to access and change the same data simultaneously ...thanks

I'm basically having trouble when one user clicks on an excel table I have built into the form record. When the user clicks the excel sheet, and the other user on the other computer clicks it, a "currently locked by other user" notice appears. I want all users to be able to access the information stored in these sheets at the same time.

It seems as if all other parts of the database enable simultaneous use just fine. Thanks!

Try using this script to clone the front end (after you've split the front/back end. : http://www.dbforums.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=19

I use it all the time to prevent locked *.ldb files (never has happened using this script) and you might find it useful and it might work with your excel embedded sheets. (Note: refresh (or relink) all your tables in your source table mdb before running the script the first time.)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-25-08 at 00:01.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)