Red face Unanswered: Wrong results with comparision operator

Hi All,
    I'm trying to retrieve results where sys_version is <= 6.0.5, but the following query is giving other sys_versions with 10.0.1 also, please let me know what is wrong with the query.

Also note that sys_version is varchar2 field which contains the system version number like 10.0.1

Below is my query

select hw_rev, SYS_VERSION from sys_details where SYS_VERSION <= '6.0.5' ORDER BY SYS_VERSION ASC

Regards
    Sean

Provided Answers: 1
    You are comparing alphanumeric strings, not numbers. '10.0.1' <= '6.0.5' is true because the very first character '1' <= '6'.

You need to extract the components of the version number, convert them to numbers, and compare them as numbers, or reformat the strings to make comparisons work e.g. '0010.0000.0001' > '0006.0000.0005'.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the reply. Could you suggest which function is best to convert the numbers and do the comparision?

Thanks
    Sean

There are various ways - all quite painful!

Here is one:

Code:
    TRIM(TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(SUBSTR(sys_version,1,INSTR(sys_version,'.')-1)),'0000'))
          || '.'
          || TRIM(TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(SUBSTR(sys_version,INSTR(sys_version,'.')+1,INSTR(sys_version,'.',1,2)-INSTR(sys_version,'.'))),'0000'))
          || '.'
          || TRIM(TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(SUBSTR(sys_version,INSTR(sys_version,'.',1,2)+1)),'0000'))
    i.e.
    Code:
    SQL> select sys_version
      2  from
      3  (select '10.0.1' as sys_version from dual
      4   UNION
      5   select '6.0.5' as sys_version from dual
      6  ) the_table
      7  where TRIM(TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(SUBSTR(sys_version,1,INSTR(sys_version,'.')-1)),'0000'))
      8        || '.'
      9        || TRIM(TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(SUBSTR(sys_version,INSTR(sys_version,'.')+1,INSTR(sys_version,'.',1,2)-INSTR(sys_version,'.'))),'0000'))
     10        || '.'
     11        || TRIM(TO_CHAR(TO_NUMBER(SUBSTR(sys_version,INSTR(sys_version,'.',1,2)+1)),'0000'))
     12        <= '0006.0000.0005';

SYS_VE
    ------
    Nice, isn't it?!

Sorry for the wrong info

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the query, its truly wonderful how we can modify data on the fly.
    I'd like to note one more issue with my data. Sone of the version numbers also contains characters within them like below:

5.5R6
    10.0.4x29
    5.6.2R1
    6.0.3P2D4

so, Is there any way I can modify your query to suit the above data.

Regards
    Sean

I'm able to get the values, but I'm not able to use the alias in the where cluase, why is it so.

Basically im taking the first numbers before the period and the first number after the initial period.

select sys_version, trim(to_char(SUBSTR(sys_version,1,INSTR(sys_versio n,'.',1)-1), '0000'))
    || '.' ||
    trim(to_char(SUBSTR(sys_version,INSTR(sys_version, '.')+1,INSTR(sys_version,'.',1)-1), '0000')) T
    from sys_details where T <= '0006.0005'

Thanks once again

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Sean22
    I'm not able to use the alias in the where cluase, why is it so.
    If you mean you can't do this:
    Code:
    select [some expression] as x
    from y
    where x = 1; -- won't work
    then no, you can't. You either have to repeat the expression in the WHERE clause, or nest the select like this:
    Code:
    select x
    from (select [some expression] as x
          from y)
    where x = 1;

It worked. Thank you very much for your help

Sean