Unanswered: Strange restore/rollforward problem

Hello,

I'm completely baffled by this problem...we have our full and incremental backups done online with the logs option... for example,

db2 backup db dbname online incremental to /dir1/dir2 include logs

and similarly the full backup is done like this as well..

I copied the last full backup (from 9/6/2008) and the incremental from today and yesterday.. ie 10/3/2008 and 10/2/2008 to one of our backup servers...

I tried the restore/rollforward with the full.. that worked fine... yesterday, did a restore from the incremental on 10/2/08.. that worked fine as well...

Today..tried to do the restore with the one from 10/3/08 and it completed the restore fine, but gives this error when the rollforward command is given --

db2 rollforward db dbname to end of logs and stop overflow log path \(/home/dbuser/logs\)
    SQL4970N Roll-forward recovery on database "DBNAME" cannot reach the
    specified stop point (end-of-log or point-in-time) because of missing log
    file(s) on node(s) "0".

The strange thing is that if I give the rollforward query status command, it gives this --

db2 rollforward db dbname query status

Rollforward Status

Input database alias = dbname
    Number of nodes have returned status = 1

Node number = 0
    Rollforward status = DB working
    Next log file to be read = S0025374.LOG
    Log files processed = -
    Last committed transaction = 2008-09-16-02.07.13.000000

If I look at the logs directory ie the directory where I extracted the log files to -- I see this :

S0025374.LOG S0025375.LOG

So it seems like the log file is there..why would it complain then? I tried it on another server recently and got the same problem.. it seems like there's a pattern.. a full restore followed by an incremental restore is fine.. but then the next incremental always fails...any thoughts?

Provided Answers: 11
    maybe in the diag log there is an indication of which logfile is needed
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

thanks for the reply. I thought the 'rollforward query status' command gives the next file to be read... plus these are the log files that are a part of the backup image...don't understand why it complains.. very puzzling!

Provided Answers: 1
    BACKUP ... INCLUDE LOGS only takes care of the logs generated during the backup. I suspect that ROLLFORWARD may be interested in the logs generated _between_ the backups.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

that could be true..but very strange since the full followed by the incremental works just fine. I don't think that's the issue.. can't image what's causing this or how to even fix it...any ideas?

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2user
    any ideas?
    Like I said, try to supply all logs from the moment of the full backup; see if it changes anything.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.