Cool Unanswered: DB2 9.1 Windows restore 64 bits into 32

I have being reading in many different sources that some say it is possible doing both ways (32 > 64 and 64 > 32) and some show IBM documents saying that is possible just from 32 into 64.

I have many Windows servers 99% of them are 64 bits but I have one QA box that is 32 bits. I want to restore a backup taken in development 64 bits and restore it in QA which is 32 bits.

Is that or not possible?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 5
    The V9 documentation states that you can backup/restore within the same platform family. Nothing is mentioned of bitness in either direction. I think I remember that the V8 documentation actually stated that you could go both ways 32->64 and 64->32.

Andy

I don't think you can go both ways (only can go 32 to 64) in version 9 becasue large tablespaces use bigger RID numbers. Also, in some states it may be illegal to go both ways.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    I don't think you can go both ways (only can go 32 to 64) in version 9 becasue large tablespaces use bigger RID numbers. Also, in some states it may be illegal to go both ways.
    Marcus,
    I do not think that the bitness of the OS and DB2 have anything to do with being able to use large tablespaces. The documentation does not say that you can only create LARGE tablespaces on 64 bit systems. The RID (Row-ID) is a pointer to where the row is stored in the tablespace. The bitness of DB2 has nothing to do with this.

Andy

DB2 9.1 windows restore 64 bits into 32

So what can we come up with that ? Can I restore (with ret code 0) or not a DB2 backup taken in a 64 bits OS and restore it into a 32 bits machine?

I did a quick test with a sample database and it seems to work right. I didn't test it using "normal" database yet.

RM

If you tested it with a small DB, then a "normal" one should also be fine.

Andy

DB2 9.1 Windows restore 64 bits into 32 - IT IS POSSIBLE

First of all I would like to thank all for the responses regarding this matter.
    I found out a very (reasonable) interesting thing about restoring DB2 backups taken at Windows 64 into Windows 32.
    If you DO NOT compress the backup by the time you take it, it will work like a champ, however if you take a backup (64bits) with "compress" option it won't work when you try to restore it.
    You will got a message saying: 'SQL2570N An attempt to restore on target OS "NT-32" from a backup created on source OS "NT-64" failed due to the incompatibility of operating systems or an incorrect specificaction of the restore command. Reason-code. "2"'

--------------

The reason, I believe is the compression algorithm is unique between 32bit and 64bit architectures.

Thanks
    RMARZULLO
    DB2 v9 LUW Certified

I didn't try yet between 2 Linux (64-32) or UNIX (64-32) because I don't have servers Linux 32 bits just 64.

You should still be able to restore even if you compressed the backup image. When DB2 does a compressed backup, it stores the compression library into the image. When you restore, DB2 will see that the image is compressed and try to use the library in the image. Unfortunately when you backup on 64 bit, you get a 64 bit library in the image and when you backup on 32 bit you get a 32 bit library. You can see where this will lead to problems when restoring to a different bitness. Luckily, DB2 provides a solution by using the COMPRLIB clause on the restore command. Just supply the library name of the version on the server where you are restoring to and it should work.

Andy

Andy

Thank you for your help. You are absolutally correct about the COMPRLIB. I ran it again, now using a compressed image, point to the local db2compr.dll and it worked. I will write down in my notes here since this was one those situations that I usually don't face that often.

Regards

Syntax of your restore using comprlib

Could you please post your restore command using comprlib? I haven't been successful restoring x32 to x64...thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by wongder
    Could you please post your restore command using comprlib? I haven't been successful restoring x32 to x64...thank you.
    This depends on the OS you are running on. What DB2 version and OS are you using?

Andy

Rahul Singh
    Certified DB2 9 DBA / Application Developer