Unanswered: after reboot of SYBASE dB batch jobs very slow

Hi All,

I have a SYBASE dB wherein we noticed that after monthly reboot of the database the first run of batch jobs are very slow. Then on the follwoing day everything is back to normal processing.

Could someone please shed some light on this scenario.

Thanks and regards,

Provided Answers: 1
    After restart nothing is in cache and need to be read from disk

I thought that but, even if the cache was 2GB, how long would it take to refill it with physical reads from the database - 20 seconds?

Is anything else done when you stop/start your server - do the statistics get rebuilt? Is it just one table that's causing the issue or pretty much everything?

Hi,

Is there something that needs to be done either application or database side to avoid the slowdown in terms of batch processing after server reboot?

Thanks and regards,

Hi All,

I have found out that dB option "DDL in transaction" was enabled on this particular database. But when I compared on the other existing databases this option was disabled. What is the purpose of "DDL in transaction"? Is setting this option to TRUE would cause the slowdown of the batch process after server reboot?

Thanks and regards,

hi
    DDL in tran would not cause slowdown of the ASE. In fact the batch jobs run slow after reboot is probably because of cache or someone has been playing with the config parameters someof which are static and take effect after reboot. check your .cfg file, the old and the new and see if that is the case.

suda