Unanswered: import xlms file

Has anyone worked with .xlsm files? I am trying to write code to import an xlsm file that is put out on the network. Access doesn't like it as an excel file or as a text file. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What do you mean when you say that Access doesn't like this .xlsm as an excel or text file? Access is ideal for an excel or text file to import. Is there some sort of problem your having with it as an excel or text? Have you tried creating an import specification?
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I tried using tranferspeadsheet then transfertext. Both resulted in an error along the lines of 'not in the expected format'. I then tried the just import the file from the db window (to set up an import spec) and recieved an 'Unrecognized database format' error or 'the wizard is unable to access the information in the file. Please check that the file exists and is in the correct format' error, depending what is in the depending on what is in the 'Files of Type' combo on the dialog box. In order to get the file to show up in the dialog box, I have to enter *.* in the 'File Name' combo box.

The xlms file type is an excel macro enabled workbook. When I open the file in excel a dialog comes up stating 'File conversion in process' before the file actually opens.

I have talked to the person supplpying the file and can get it in xls format, but this is bugging me.

Provided Answers: 10

Provided Answers: 10
    P.S. wonder if this is any use to you: http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/sh...Number=1698631
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks for the replies, George. It looks like these files are created by Excel 2007 (I didn't even realize anyone in the company had been upgraded) and I can not import them into Access 2003, I wonder if Access 2007 can import them with Transferspreadsheet. There may be an add in or update that allows 2003 to import xlsm files, but I haven't found it. The only viable work around I can think of is to open the file with Excel and save it in xls format.