Unanswered: Restore a missing archivelog

Hello all,

I am facing a problem regarding a Datafile which cannot become online and be restored since a deleted archivelog is missing.

I try to change to online a datafile:
    ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE '/u02/oracle/rbdb1/stuff01.dbf' ONLINE;

I receive the following error:
    ORA-01113: file 21 needs media recovery
    ORA-01110: data file 21: '/oradata3/RATER/rater_datafiles/dat/sms_rater_dr_outcdr_dat0804_01.dbf'

I try to recover it:
    SQL>recover datafile '/oradata3/RATER/rater_datafiles/dat/sms_rater_dr_outcdr_dat0804_01.dbf';

and I receive an error saying that a specific archivelog is missing. This archivelog was deleted since I am taking twice a day backup of archivelogs and then copy the previous to a local path for disk space reasons but the specific one was deleted.

My Db is in archivelog mode, I have a full backup once a week and a daily Differential (incremental level 1).

What can I do for the Datafile to change it to online?

thanks
    Mimas

Provided Answers: 1
    Have you tried recovering to a point in time (i.e. prior to the archivelog being deleted)?
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by cis_groupie
    Have you tried recovering to a point in time (i.e. prior to the archivelog being deleted)?
    No I haven't tried it because I do not know how.

Could you please tell me?

thnks
    Mimas

Try this page of the documentation:

http://students.kiv.zcu.cz/doc/oracl...osrecov008.htm

(PITR is at the bottom of the page).
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by cis_groupie
    Try this page of the documentation:

http://students.kiv.zcu.cz/doc/oracl...osrecov008.htm

(PITR is at the bottom of the page).
    Thanks for the help!

No problem

since you are backing up your archive logs to tape (I assume), why not simply restore the missing archivelog and continue your restore. I am making the assumption that you aren't doing something silly like wiping out your archives without backing them up to a media that can be accessed back to your previous full backup.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    since you are backing up your archive logs to tape (I assume), why not simply restore the missing archivelog and continue your restore. I am making the assumption that you aren't doing something silly like wiping out your archives without backing them up to a media that can be accessed back to your previous full backup.
    I backup the archivelogs to a different path with enough disk space but the specific archivelog was deleted by someone (this DB is at my work and many are using it) so I cannot find it.