Unanswered: unable to connect to oracle xe

sir,
    i had installed the oracle xe.When i had entered the username as system and password as that i had given during the registration it's showing invalid login credentials .I could'nt understand why could this happen?I had unistalled and reinstalled the application and repeated the above process again;yet the same problem occured.please help

check services. Is the database and listener started? Does your tnsnames have an entry for the XE database?
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

> i had installed the oracle xe.
    OK.

> When i had entered the username as system and password as that i had given during the registration
    Where? In SQL*Plus, Enterprise Manager, some other Web page, ...?

> it's showing invalid login credentials .
    Exactly? Oracle errors are often accompanied with ORA-##### (5 digits) code, which uniquely describes them. With this vague description, it is hard to locate the error cause.

> I had unistalled and reinstalled the application and repeated the above process again;yet the same problem occured.
    What kind of "application" are you talking about? Oracle database, Oracle client, some other stuff?