Unanswered: ODBC issue with windows server 2003 - EE - SP2 - 32bit with MS SQL 2000

I have windows 2003 server (enterprise edition - 32 bit & SP2) with MS Sql 2000 server installed. I wanted to establish ODBC connectivity from windows XP machine to this server but could not succeed. I get some error saying can't connect to this server, permission denied. I checked with netstat -a and sql listens on default port. The software guy told me that windows server should be a domain and client machines should be a member of this domain. Is it true ? Do I need to have AD installed for ODBC connectivity ?

Please help me out. I searched on net for a week but could not find any solution.

I checked with cliconf and TCP/IP and named pipes are enabled. From 2003 server I can establish ODBC without any problem.

Awaiting your solution.

on the wrong server
    Provided Answers: 6
    your client does not need to be on the same domain, but if it is not, it needs to connect using the IP Address instead of the machine name and you need to use sql server authentication and not windows authentication.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.