Unanswered: whats new in MS SQL 2008 ?

whats new in MS SQL 2008 ?

Provided Answers: 6
    I just downloaded SQL Server 2008 Express for free last night and I am going to install it today. Whenever I download the most recent version of sql server, I immediately read the What's New in SQL Server XXXX section of Books Online. Books Online is an extremely detailed and easy to use help file that comes with SQL Server.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

ok, thank you

ok, thank you
    i havent yet downloaded anything of sql 2008....(can i expect a "thank less me" on this?)....

but why wait till others find whats new for you ...
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb500435.aspx

The long and the short of it is evolution not revolution for the sql engine. Lots of new admin tools and functionality, a bit of extra T-SQL.

The main changes are to the BI capabilities e.g. reporting services rewritten from ground up.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    The long and the short of it is evolution not revolution for the sql engine. Lots of new admin tools and functionality, a bit of extra T-SQL.

The main changes are to the BI capabilities e.g. reporting services rewritten from ground up.

wow they rewrote report services wow that I have to see. 90% of my time is on Report Services so this I need to see, I will download on my computer tonight. I better make sure its compatible with Vista

depends on from what perspective you look at it ... you a dev or a dba ?
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    wow they rewrote report services wow that I have to see. 90% of my time is on Report Services so this I need to see, I will download on my computer tonight. I better make sure its compatible with Vista
    I don't think the report designer interface has changed much, barring adding some new graphical objects. The rendering engine is totally rewritten to be faster (and also appear faster e.g. the first page of the report will render and display before any remaining pages have been rendered). I believe most changes are to the admin side of things.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

“If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    New stuff?

Data Compression
    Backup compression
    Transparent Whole table encryption
    Change Data Capture schema
    MERGE statement
    Spatial datatypes
    Filestream datatype

Among other things.

no extra cup holders, GPS and satellite radio?

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    Among other things.
    The Gov'nor
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump