Unanswered: Difference between 'DB2 Data Server for LUW' and 'DB2 Connect Server'

Hello,

I am newbie to DB2. I am supposed to add database support for 'DB2 9.1 for LUW' using CLI apis.

I want to install DB2 Data server on windows. Once I run DB2 9.1 setup, it displays following options -

1) DB2 Client
    2) DB2 Connect Server
    3) Add-in for VS 2005

I learned that 'DB2 Connect Server' acts as gateway to z/os repository. Is it the DB2 Data server for LUW?

What is the difference between DB2 Connect Server and DB2 Data server?

Please clarify.

-Machhindra

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi,
    Server is DB2 relation database product that can be installed on Windows/Linux/Unix and is used to store data on this OSes. You can access this database by any kind of client. But using Server you cannot use it as gateway to z/os database. You need Connect for that.

But for Server there are several several DB2 editions. Check this article:
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...kopoulos1.html

Server "Enterprise edition" has a Connect product included in. All other Servers does not have it. You can buy Connect separately.
    Regards,
    Grofaty

Thanks Grofaty.

Now I am less confused. I have DB2 setup, that does not show 'DB2 Data Server' Option to install. However I can see 'DB2 Connect Server' option.

Could you please point me to the location from where I can download DB2 9.1 Server for LUW?

I have IBM PartnerWorld subscription.

Regards,
    Machhindra

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi,
    don't know where to download DB2 editions from PartnerWorld subscription (hope someone else knows this if not call IBM support).

But there is Express-C version (free of charge) available for download (only v9.5 is available):
    http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/db2/express/

Regards,
    Grofaty

Thumbs up

Thanks.

I talked with IBM support. Downloaded DB2 9.1 For LUW Data server