Unanswered: Difference between 'DB2 Data Server for LUW' and 'DB2 Connect Server'

Hello,

I am newbie to DB2. I am supposed to add database support for 'DB2 9.1 for LUW' using CLI apis.

I want to install DB2 Data server on windows. Once I run DB2 9.1 setup, it displays following options -

1) DB2 Client
    2) DB2 Connect Server
    3) Add-in for VS 2005

I learned that 'DB2 Connect Server' acts as gateway to z/os repository. Is it the DB2 Data server for LUW?

What is the difference between DB2 Connect Server and DB2 Data server?

Please clarify.

-Machhindra

Hi,
    Server is DB2 relation database product that can be installed on Windows/Linux/Unix and is used to store data on this OSes. You can access this database by any kind of client. But using Server you cannot use it as gateway to z/os database. You need Connect for that.

But for Server there are several several DB2 editions. Check this article:
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...kopoulos1.html

Server "Enterprise edition" has a Connect product included in. All other Servers does not have it. You can buy Connect separately.
    Regards,
    Grofaty

Thanks Grofaty.

Now I am less confused. I have DB2 setup, that does not show 'DB2 Data Server' Option to install. However I can see 'DB2 Connect Server' option.

Could you please point me to the location from where I can download DB2 9.1 Server for LUW?

I have IBM PartnerWorld subscription.

Regards,
    Machhindra

Hi,
    don't know where to download DB2 editions from PartnerWorld subscription (hope someone else knows this if not call IBM support).

But there is Express-C version (free of charge) available for download (only v9.5 is available):
    http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/db2/express/

Regards,
    Grofaty

Thumbs up

Thanks.

I talked with IBM support. Downloaded DB2 9.1 For LUW Data server