Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Synchronizing SQL Server 2008 with SQL Server 2000

We’re planning an upgrade of our database environment from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008. This is done by simply detaching the 2000 database files and attaching a copy in the 2008 server. This works beautifully, but once the files has been attached in 2008, they cannot be reopened in 2000. And if we for some reason have to roll back to the old environment after a day or a week, the old database has to be in sync.

What would be the simplest and easiest way to do it? Remember that the two databases are identical and the synchronization should only be active for a short period of time.

Are we talking about a lot of triggers? Log shipping? Replication?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian Hallkvist

It kind of depends. You are talking about keeping two databases on two different platforms in synch for just a few days? The last bit makes it trickier since the time & knowledge investment required for a proper solution will likely be many more days in itself.

Why the roll back?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

I know we’ll have to invest some time in the solution, but that is perfectly ok.

The roll back should only be done if everything else fails and we can’t continue on the new platform.

The application contains a commerce solution, user registration, user tracking, etc. Very critical information which also must be maintained in the old database if we have to switch back.

Ah - sorry - you want an emergency rollback!

So you won't have two live databases? While 2k8 is live, 2k will not be handling transactions?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Correct. The 2k db will not be accessed while the 2008 db is active.

Provided Answers: 6
    it sounds like some either has no faith in user acceptance testing or is not doing any. either way that is where you address this issue.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

No matter how much you test, you should always have a rollback plan. Simple as that.
    Otherwise it sounds like someone is too lazy or unprofessional to implement and maintain highly critical solutions.

OK internet tough guy.

I have a solution for you, but I am not going to give it to you now.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

if you really want to call me names, meet me in front 1310 North Courhouse in Arlington VA ay 11:30. Black khakis and a red and white striped shirt.

He he :-) I wasn’t the one starting posting messages on the personal level ;-)

calm down fellas. no need for fisticuffs.

Basically you want an HA solution going from 2k to 2k8 - either out of the box, or bespoke. Presumably this will be manual failover? And what sort of down time can you live with? How big is the DB?

EDIT - I echo Jesse's sentiments but if a fight does go down I'd like to put 20 large on the Seussian with the big ears.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

BS. He started with the personal attacks. I was questioning his testing which is something professional.

what is this obvious superior professional managing that would not be satisfied with backups before the switch and ample UAT. What kind of zero data loss situation are you in? If you are posting here, I hope you are not managing the Automated Teller Machine network.

Yes, it’s going to be a manual failover. And I just realized it can be done with a SSIS package from the 2k8 server to the 2k server. All I have to do now is to check how long it’ll take with the real db, which is about 50 GB.

Thanks for your help.

If you are doing that route, check out: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...22132&SiteID=1
    The problem with this is that your latency isn't great.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump