Unanswered: Suggestion - Setup new invironment for Oracle Database Standard Edition in window

I would appreciate if you guy could suggest sharing ideas looking at the different options we have only using Oracle Standard Edition and using VMWare for virtualization piece for setting up the High Availability, DR, Recovery and Backup process.

The requirements are as follows:

1) High Availability - I believe what is required is rapid failover but not necessarily instantaneous failover. In other words, in the rare event that the DB server crashes, the ability to bring it back up in a few minutes is critical. VMWare has the ability to automatically boot a server on another VMWare host if the server fails. Any suggestion?

2) Data Protection We require a zero dataloss solution. Given the nature of the our business. What solutions that allow us to have a fully redundant copy of our data to go back to in the event of database corruption?

3) ( Disaster Recovery )DR Site We need to look at options that will allow us to fail over to the other location data center. In a perfect world, we would want to be able to failover with very little effect on the end users (ie. They would just have to restart their client application) Again, the use of VMWare and SAN-level replication is something that will help but how possible and any idea?

4) We are not using Oracle RAC and Oracle Data Guard. We just limited to using Oracle Standard Edition.

the solution is to use Enterprise Edition and not Standard Edition.
    You've got all this fancy technology (vm ware, SAN, etc) but somehow
    you refuse to invest in Enterprise Edition. Seems ridiculous.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Thanks, The reason we are using Standard is for the cost saving. Why because we have VM and SAN and do not wamt spend more just to take advantage of Enterprise features which is cost alot. We want to utilize SAN and WM as much as possible. So do you have any solutions instead?

anything you would do would not be oracle certified and oracle support would not help you in those situations.
    What version of oracle are you talking about?

I wouldn't be cutting costs on protecting your data.
    If Enterprise Edition solves all of your needs why wouldn't you pay for that?
    Also, oracle prices are negotiable.

You paid for VM and your SAN didn't you? Why wouldn't you pay for a database?
    Last edited by The_Duck; 10-29-08 at 13:53.
    - The_Duck

this reminds me of my last position.
    They paid a lot for Oracle RAC and support and 3 DBAs.
    Instead of going with the Oracle DR strategy (data guard) which they
    already had paid for, they decided to buy a 3rd party software that
    claimed to copy data at the block level.

If you are paying 3 DBAs AND paying for oracle, why not leverage
    what you already paid for? It made no sense.
    - The_Duck

I think you got the point, we have SAN and VW and in fact bought it awhile ago for other purposes and we want to levarage them as well. Of course they provide supports. Since we want to utilize them with the oracle standard edition really save alot of money. Oracle RAC just cost more manpower and resources while we have 1 oracle dba and alot of SAN and VW expert. Leveraging SAN and VW into Oracle standard could save cost alot, without hiring expensive oracle DBA to do RAC and etc. We are talking about 10 databases running in different platform plus DR and mutliple site location cost alot for Enterprise per processer. PLus feature included in enterprise can be done using SAN and VW which we already bought so why not utilize them? Why need to buy Enterprise if we can lavarage the VM and SAN?

In the shop where I work, we try to design the solution to fit the need. As such, we use a mix of Oracle features (eg, Datagaurd), OS based solutions (AIX HACMP) and SAN based solutions (Synchronous replication) for our needs. However, when we used a non-Oracle solution for HA or DR, I didn't ask Oracle how to accomplish it. I went the solution vendor. I would suggest that you discuss your needs with your SAN and/or VM vendor and see what products/features they have to offer. Once you have the details on the solution, you could possibly come back here and ask for input on what this groups thoughts are on that solution.

Make sense?

Yeah, our oracle database installed in VW and we need to find out what VM ( high availability ) which they included. That's why we are not using oracle RAC. For the data protection , we use SAN which been implemented well. The last thing we need is server / data crush failover, for Standard Edition, We thought using standby database. We can create one as manual failover but would like to think for cheap product such as DBVISIT which is the same as data guard but way less expensive and they provide support as well as it support Standard Edition which is what we are using now instead of upgrade to Enterprise. ( Expensive ).