Unanswered: Missing VBA Reference

Hello again, Colleagues All,
    As a database architect, I am like the guy who drives the limo, but when the car breaks down, he needs the services of a good mechanic. So, if there are any of you good at tweaking Access with a spanner, I would like to hear from you !
    I was recently emailed an database backend and frontend from a client who I do occasional work for. Previously, the system was running in Access 97, but this is the first copy I have received since it was upgraded to Access 2003.
    It opened up OK and I remade the links to the backend, but when I tried to run it, I got the typical Microsoft message "Sorry but I must close this program". In doing so, it created a backup file and suggested I run it. I did this and landed up with a backup of the backup.
    I then recompiled the program and and got an error indicating that there was a missing reference. The highlighted line in VBA was the definition of an object as Database. According to the Help file, I was asked to select references, scroll down to a reference flagged as missing (MISSING prefix according to MS) , then open the Object browser, find the missing reference there and then browse to find the missing file. When I opened the reference manager, all the opened references were at the top of the list (as they should be in a well-ordered system) and the last one was highlighted. There was no prefixed reference. Question 1. Does this highlight indicate the missing reference (it is still ticked) ? It was VBA Extensions 5.3. I browsed around in System32 directory etc. but could find no matching file. Question 2. Where should one look for this sort of thing, in principle ?
    All of my other databases (my own and other clients) all work just fine.
    Can anybody offer any helpful advice, please ?
    Last edited by Jim Wright; 10-24-08 at 22:50.

Provided Answers: 1
    When is the last time you ran an office update?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Yes, Teddy, I think you have scored a bullseye. I was on the point of updating my post when i read your message. Further investigation did reveal that the MS Word 11.0 and Excel 11.0 libraries were missing. I think this arises because, as a developer, I am running an independent version of Access 2003, with an Office Suite of 2000, whereas my client received their version of Access with Office 2003.
    As it happens, I have been able to get the program to run simply by deselecting those references. On my own system, I have Word 9.0 and Excel 9.0 libraries, but also a general Office 11.0 library. Now, this is where it gets interesting (and why these forums are so much fun). Exactly what is contained in these libararies ? For instance, if I wish to set up fields in a Word file and populate them from the Access database, do I need the library, or is it there simply so that I can tweak Word in some say. Ditto Excel, of course. Then again, does my Office 11.0 library contain materials otherwise found in the other libraries. The point is, I can run the program on my system, but when I send it back to my client, what will his system expect ? I know that his usage of Access is simplistic and perhaps the libraries are simply included because it is an Office component. Should I be concerned ?
    Can you enlighten me on these aspects, please ?