Unanswered: Problem in foreign key with on delete no action

Hi friends i am facing problem with using foreign key with on delete no action.
    -I created two tables one for department and another for employees
    - created a foreign key refrences departments

when i try to delete a departement from departments table then it gives a error

Msg 547, Level 16, State 0, Line 1
    The ALTER TABLE statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "zz". The conflict occurred in database "study", table "dbo.tbdep", column 'depdcod'.

Plz check my code where i am wrong
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    create table tbdep (depdcod int primary key not null, depname varchar(50))
    insert tbdep values(10,'sales')
    insert tbdep values(20,'MARKETIN')
    insert tbdep values(30,'acounts')

select * from tbdep

create table tbemp (ename varchar(50),depcod int)

insert tbemp values('kdjfkjd',10)
    insert tbemp values('SD',20)
    insert tbemp values('FD',20)
    insert tbemp values('GGF',10)
    insert tbemp values('FGFG',30)

alter table tbemp
    add constraint zz foreign key(depcod) references tbdep(depdcod) on delete no action
    delete from tbdep where depdcod=10

select * from tbdep
    select * from tbemp
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

before i answer your question, could you take a second and tell us in your own words what "no action" means

what did you expect would happen when you tried to delete department 10 which still has employees in it?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

no action
    :-No action means if i delete primary key from department table then records relating to that departmen are not affected

Provided Answers: 2
    Really?

NO ACTION:
    The Database Engine raises an error and the delete action on the row in the parent table is rolled back.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174979.aspx

NO ACTION does not mean that key violations are permitted.

NO ACTION is supposed to indicate whether triggers fire when a row is deleted. In SQL Server NO ACTION means the same as RESTRICT (the default).

If you don't want to enforce the foreign key then you might as well drop the constraint altogether. What purpose would the foreign key serve if you could delete referenced rows without deleting the dependent rows?

Quote Originally Posted by dportas
    If you don't want to enforce the foreign key then you might as well drop the constraint altogether. What purpose would the foreign key serve if you could delete referenced rows without deleting the dependent rows?
    here's a hypothetical example

suppose you have a store which sells items

some of these items are brought in from vendors, some are made in the back room by our staff (e.g. custom floral arrangements)

the vendor_id foreign key in the items table is optional, i.e. allows NULL

so far so good (and don't mess up the example by saying that the FK should be split off into its own table, please )

when the vendor_id for a specific item is NOT NULL, then we send a percentage of the sale price to the vendor

now imagine a vendor goes out of business, but we have considerable stock on hand

we no longer need to send the vendor a percentage, so we can set the vendor_id on those items to NULL

thus, ON DELETE SET NULL

in other words, delete referenced rows without deleting the dependent rows

quod erat demonstrandum

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Provided Answers: 10
    C'est magnifique!
    George
    Home | Blog

Rudy,
    Your example doesn't explain why you would want a vendor_id for floral arrangements that aren't supplied by a valid vendor.

ON DELETE SET NULL effectively "deletes" the dependent rows by changing them to something else and thereby removing the referencing row. A null foreign key does indeed allow the constraint to be violated though. In my view that seriously degrades the usability and effectiveness of the database. Not least because it forces developers to check every constraint to see whether it is the type of key that can be violated or the type that can't.

Quote Originally Posted by dportas
    Rudy,
    Your example doesn't explain why you would want a vendor_id for floral arrangements that aren't supplied by a valid vendor.
    well, that's just the point -- you wouldn't, because some items aren't supplied by a vendor, so those would be the ones with vendor_id NULL

maybe you missed the example -- non-vendor items made up in the back room by our staff

in life, dportas, there are two kinds of people, those who think of stuff and run them up the flagpole, and those who sit back all day and shoot them down

i know which kind i am

confucious say: "man who say it cannot be done should not interfere with man who is doing it"

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

[QUOTE=r937]well, that's just the point -- you wouldn't, because some items aren't supplied by a vendor, so those would be the ones with vendor_id NULL

maybe you missed the example -- non-vendor items made up in the back room by our staff

I didn't miss it. If those items don't have a vendor then there is no need for them to have a vendor_id. The idea that they supposedly need a null vendor_id is something you didn't explain - but if you don't explain it then I don't see what the point of your example is.

my example had vendor_id in the items table, so, yeah, it would need to be NULL for those non-vendor items

i expect you're going to say that the vendor_id FK should be split off into a separate table, such that there wouldn't need to be any NULLs, because items that don't have a vendor wouldn't have a row in that table

that would work too, eh
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca