Thread: Hello

Hello

I just googled "Database Administrator Forum" and this popped up. Im looking to learn from this forum, and maybe one day be able to help somebody else in need.

I recently started attending Devry University and I intend to pursue CIS: Database Administration as a major.

what do you think about one of those, teach yourself books about database programming... should I read one of those first just to see what this is all about? how did you get started?

-C

Quote Originally Posted by CDJ
    I just googled "Database Administrator Forum" and this popped up. Im looking to learn from this forum, and maybe one day be able to help somebody else in need.

I recently started attending Devry University and I intend to pursue CIS: Database Administration as a major.

what do you think about one of those, teach yourself books about database programming... should I read one of those first just to see what this is all about? how did you get started?

-C
    First off, I got started because there was a need in the company, I volunteered my services, with the understanding I was new to Sybase (at the time, now MS SQL) and there would be some bumps and bruises along the way as I learned. I fell in love with it after many years of strictly development on a System 38/AS400. Nearly 11 years later, here I am. Not an expert but pretty darn good in my opinion...Just keep in mind as you go forward, there is always much more to learn.

Now:
    Teach yourself is, in my opinion, the best way intially. Read the books, see if the interest is still there and if so, immerse yourself into these types of forums, other, more advanced books and the formal education (if that's where you're at). Real-world experience will be your greatest teacher. You can find many everyday examples of the trials and tribulations of database life in these forums. Lots of good posts to learn from and lots of good, talented people to help when needed. Oh, and lots of fun, LIFE related stuff too (check out the "Chit Chat" forum). Welcome to the site, you'll be glad you joined!

Edit - DeVry? In Chi-town? I had a nephew who graduated from there and is doing pretty well for himself. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tosscrosby
    Just keep in mind as you go forward, there is always much more to learn.
    Amen
    George
    Home | Blog

TossCrosby,

thanks for that reply. no, not in Chicago, I am in south Florida. as of right now, im juggling a full time job with an education, and im still in the process of finishing up a few gen eds before I get into the real core part of the program. So I thought I should by one of those "Sams Teach Yourself SQL" books just to take a quick peek at while I get to some real classes.

Im excited to see what lies ahead and most of all, Im excited in becoming a professional and get a real job. Im tired of dead ends. Ive heard that is a good pay, at least compared to what I make.

-C

Pay can be really good, depending on your market area. But with the current state of the ecomony, employers can be a little more choosey when comparing potential employees. I like what I do, never a dull moment. The pay is adequate (is anybody in our profession really overpaid??), sometimes the hours can be a little long but that's the exception rather than the norm. But again, I like what I do and that is crucial for maintaining your sanity. My advice - absorb as much as you can before your hit your core classes, determine if this is something you'd like to do for a while, and that it's something you can get good at, and make your decision. With the pace of technological advancements (both hardware and software), things are always happening. Best of luck.