Unanswered: Sybase Schema Comparison

Hi All,

I am new to the Sybase database. I want to compare the two schemas in sybase. Is it possible to compare the schemas in sybase. If possible please help me in this issue.

Thanks and Regards

Besides using automated tools, with plain SQL you can produce some listings in both databases, and then compare them.

For a list of tables and views:
    select type, name from sysobjects where type in ('U','V') order by 1, 2

For a list of the columns of every table and view:
    select o.name, c.name, c.type, c.length, c.prec, c.scale
    from sysobjects o, syscolumns c
    where o.type in ('U','V') and o.id=c.id
    order by o.name, o.colid

Both queries assume that all objects belong to the same owner. If there are more, add "and uid=n" to limit the selection to only one.

Regards,
    Mariano Corral

Thanks CORAL...

i will try this query...hope it works for me...if any problem comes will get back to u agaain...

Requirements for accessing remote sybase database

Hi All

i need to access a remote sybase database.What all are the requirements should i have on my system ? I have oracle client installed on my system .Can i access the database from the oracle client ? If it is poosible then how can i do that..

The free, open-source SchemaCrawler for SQL Server tool is desinged to do just this. You can take human-readable snapshots of the schema and data, for later comparison. Comparisons are done using a standard diff tool such as WinMerge. SchemaCrawler outputs details of your schema (tables, views, procedures, and more) in a diff-able plain-text format (text, CSV, or XHTML). SchemaCrawler can also output data (including CLOBs and BLOBs) in the same plain-text formats.

SchemaCrawler is available at SourceForge:
    http://schemacrawler.sourceforge.net/

Sualeh Fatehi