Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: Mapping lat and long in an Access Form

Hello,
    I have this idea.

I have a database where I have the latitud and longitude of some areas.
    I would like to plot this points on a map.

Does anyone have or saw something like this before? Anything to start from?

Thanks!

Saludos,
    pepemosca

You can do this through COM objects using MapPoint from Microsoft. Of course, you'll have to shell out the money to purchase MapPoint which may or may not be what you want to do.

That's the only way that I know of.

C

I used ArcMap (by ESRI). It's a very good mapping program but it's a little costly.

Thing to keep in mind when mapping out lat/long points is that you need to determine a "Spatial" point in the sky to determine how the State/City/US is rounded/flattened when it displays. If you have the wrong spatial point, a map of (for example Wisconsin) can look flat and distorted.

Spatial points can be gotten from your State's Legislature IT department. I used to work there so I had access to this file. I then incorporated the WI spatial point into ArcMap and everything looked great.

ArcMap also comes with a set of spatial points. I'm assuming that MapPoint works similiar regarding spatial points (or it hides it somehow behind the scenes).
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-01-08 at 04:00.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 59
    have you though of Google Earth / Google maps?
    you will make life a heck of a lot easier for yourself if you store the position as decimal degrees rather than degrees minutes seconds, although havign said that I have some .NET classes that would handle the latitude & longitude.. however they would need converting to VB6/VBA as they use inheritance and .NET language constructs
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I was thinking something simple as drawing a point in front of a world map JPEG.
    Just a point by convertin the LAT/LONG to a position in the bitmap.

Any ideas?

Also, that thing about using the Google Earth or Google Maps: any ideas how to make it work?
    How to make the "hyperlinks"?

Thanks!

BTW, thank you all for your comments!!!

A geographical coordinate is nothing more than than an X Axis & Y axis. it looks a problem if you view the position as the traditonal (dDD MM SS), or even GPS format which is degrees decimal minutes (dDD MM.MMMMMM or dDDMM.MMMMMM). if you convert the position to decimal degrees (dDD.DDDDDD). providing you know the boundaries of the map you are plotting on (ie you know the latitude & longitude it covers( then its a relatively trivial task to plot on the chart.

in the pen source world there are lots of tools to create and modify jpegs on the fly (the PHP GD library for one). so you could modify an existing jepg of a map

However whether its trivial, or if you can do it within Access is a diferent question. Thats why I think considering using somehting like Google maps is the most likely option. it should be possible to to create a series of user defined points of interest and upload those to the mapping applciation
    if you study the URL's well enough it should be possible to get the mapping web application to do a route.

If its of intetest to you I'd sugest you do some basic research on t'net

With ESRI ArcMap/ArcGIS, the numbers I populated in the database for lat/long were like -77.234323 and 88.33432.

Healdem - does GoogleEarth/GoogleMap utilize these numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    With ESRI ArcMap/ArcGIS, the numbers I populated in the database for lat/long were like -77.234323 and 88.33432.

Healdem - does GoogleEarth/GoogleMap utilize these numbers?
    if it doesn't Id be surprised, theres no reason why it can't. a quick check on google maps indictaes they are perfectly happy with any valid geodetic notation

my point over using decimal degrees is that its far easier if you have to do you own plotting, its a simple data numeric data type, that can be range checked within the db. its actually pretty trivial to get from one format to another. its a lot easier to validate if its decimal degrees. the other issue is where some countries allow for negative values (eg -10.45678 = 10.45678S, but the longitude varies depending on which country you are in, some use negative to be E, some use negative to be west as far as I know ALL use negative to be south)

The geocoding (ArcGIS) and mapping software (ArcMap) were pretty expensive for us. There was a lot to learning it (I took a 2 week class) and it was a pretty involved process but the accuracy was precise (which we required). I would receive 10 new geocoding disks every 6 months which took about 2 hours to update the database with all the new coordinates for new addresses for people/businesses.

My point with the spatial points was that for us, different perspectives from "space" needed to be drawn. GoogleEarth seems to do this automatically but there seems to be some limitations on if you want to view the map supplying your own viewing point in space (for example, if I want to view city XXX at 10000 feet up in the sky from over city YYY and maintain a ZZZ perspective (and supplying "layers" to the level of detail I wanted to see.)) GoogleEarth and Mappoint seem to be much more simplified versions without having to deal with spatial points (but we were also geocoding Senate/Assembly/Congressional districts.) Still though, there seems to be limitations with GoogleEarth if you need to do this.

The ArcGIS software cost us about $10,000 (this was in 2000) with a $1000 fee every 6 months for the updates. It was an additional $40,000 to have the geocoding done "on-the-fly" as new addresses were entered into the database. Otherwise, it was a 2-3 hour process having 5 million or so addresses updated with the coordinates on a monthly basis. ArcGIS was probably overkill for what we needed. It was a 12 disk set for the software but there were things it could do which I've never seen any other software package do and was extremely precise. I can't recall what the cost for ArcMap was.

I gather from your statements Healdem, that GoogleEarth is much easier to use and by far a cheaper route to go with the same type of accuracy and without having to setup any spatial points (but again, you're limited to certain viewpoints and layers of details). With all the things I've seen from Google coming out, I'm impressed with some of the mapping type software. Mappoint also seemed impressive but it was not as accurate as ArcMap and did not do terrains in detail (again, something we required). I agree with your point on using the decimal degrees but I might wonder on the accuracy if precision points are to be plotted from different viewpoints. For me, the new company I work for might want to do some mapping in the future and I'm looking for software. The accuracy though is not required that was at the old place I worked.

On another subject, I was very impressed with using (I think it's called GoogleStreet) whereby I could view my house directly from the street (and actually see all the houses on my street.) Someone must have recently stood down my street and started taking all these pictures (which I could tell was recently done.) But I could walk down my street using the software just as if I was actually walking down my street.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-02-08 at 14:32.

check out Flash Earth

probably doesn't allow the overlay of mapping pins, but for quick views down to street level, it's ~way~ faster than loading that bloated monstrosity, google earth
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I will - thanks Rudy.

OK, but any ideas how to make the links to open a Google Maps location?
    Or make a "yellow balloon" with some information I get from the DB?

Thanks!

There is a Yellow Tip balloon example in the attachments found here: http://www.dbforums.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=51.

Not sure if this is what you want but here's some code that opens google maps and supplies the addresses from the database into it's search parameters...

Select Case Me.CenterID

Case 2
    daddr = "1930+Monroe+St+Madison+WI+(The+Monroe+Building+Su ite+200)"
    Case 3
    daddr = "+848+N+12th+Milwaukee+WI+(Parking+Garage+Entrance )"

End Select
    Addr = Addr1 & " " & Addr2 & " " & City & " " & State
    saddr = Replace(Addr, " ", "+") & "+"
    strurl = "http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=" & saddr & "&daddr=" & daddr & "&pw=2"

Application.FollowHyperlink strurl

pkstormy, thank you for the example and the link!