Question Unanswered: Restore Hotbackup to different server

Hi all,

In general I restored databases from a cold-backup. Now I got a hot backup delivered, which I should restore on our Oracle 8i (8.1.7) machine.

I however have really no clue how to start with this. Can anyone help me out?

I googled already a lot and found things like RMAN etc. but nothing worked out.

THanks in advance!!

Talking Pit

Almost same as cold backup except you need at least one archive log and do a point-in-time recovery.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I tried to recover this way, but it gives me an error that it cannot find the ORACLE db? I've got no idea why it's telling me this.

Question Steps?

Post the steps (procedure) you are using to restore and the errors you get.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I might just do it completely wrong, but these are the steps I do:

- With the create db wizard I create an empty db: mydb

- copy all files I have from the hotbackup (all .ora files, etc.) to the db dir:

D:\oradata\mydb

Now I tried already lots of stuff. Like RMAN.
    With RMAN I tried to connect to the db instance and used the option nocatalog to start it.

It seems to connect and to do something, but when I try to start the db afterwards I get a message: ORACLE not found

I'm lost. I don't have a lot of experience with Oracle 8.1.7 and this backup-mechanism. Please help me out.

As I said. I got a hot-backup and need to restore to a fresh installed machine with fresh oracle 8.1.7. This was also the version the db server was running, so I expect this not to be a problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Vanhuet,
    I was looking for a complete guidence to restore the hot backups in oracle.
    I have received hot backup from the client, but I do not know how to restore it. I saw, you have been into same problem long time back and may have a solution also with you by now.
    Could you please let me know, how I should proceed. I don't have oracle dba experience.
    Thanks
    vinda

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I was looking for a complete guidence to restore the hot backups in oracle.
    >I have received hot backup from the client,
    Ask the site who gave you the hot backups for a copy of their tested & documented Recovery Procedures.

Post Operating System (OS) name & version for DB server system.
    Post results of SELECT * from v$version for Oracle version.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

see the following link

Contents
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.