Exclamation normalization exercise (was: some other title)

Hey all,

Well this is the situation, I am currently studying Computer Science at University and have only studied a little bit of Databases in the past, enough to keep me going when I was doing it, but now I have taken database modules and everyone seems to know what they are doing.

I am really struggling in terms of trying to understand how to normalize a database!?!? I have looked online at so many different examples, but they all seem to say the same thing, but I do not understand...I think this is right:

-To get a database into 2nd Normal Form you need to remove all functional dependencies.

-To get a database into 3rd Normal Form you need to remove all transitive dependencies.

Hopefully I have understood this correct!?!? But the thing is, I understand the concept of this, but I do not understand how to actually apply this...and I have searched and searched on the Internet for just a simple beginners guide to this...and it is driving me mad on how complex some 'simple' guides are??

There was an example given today, which was this...

If we know this:

Relation Name: Contacts
    Attributes: Name, Room, Telephone, email
    Dependencies: Name -> Telephone
    Room -> Telephone
    Name -> email

Turn this into 3rd Normal Form. I cannot do this to save my life for some reason...I cannot understand how to know what the functional dependencies are??

I mean, from this i can gather that Name -> Telephone, Email, and that Room -> Telephone, but which ones are partially dependent and how do you tell?

If anyone can please PLEASE explain and talk me through this and give a simple guideline on how to turn a table into a 2NF, given a set of dependencies I will be forever grateful!

Thanks you in advance guys, most appreciated!

Ben

try http://r937.com/relational.html

note that room does not necessarily determine telephone

it might've, back in the day, when all there was was land lines

but i would venture that a person's contact information might include a cell phone today

as for your question about 2NF, if you don't have a composite primary key, then as long as you don't have any column containing multiple values (like a comma-delimited list), then you're automatically in 2NF
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thank you for the reply, I shall read through that website now for some advice and help on the subject!

I think this was a bad example, there are a couple more that were given today....

Could you please help me identify the "Partial Dependencies"...this is what I cant really seem to do, I now kind of understand what to do, it's just identifying the partial dependencies that i cant do...can someone please talk me through identifying them in this example:

R1
    a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h
    a -> b
    a -> c
    d -> e
    a -> f
    d -> f
    f -> g
    e -> h

Which ones are partially dependent and why??
    How would you organize this into 2nd Normal Form??

Thank you once again

sorry, i don't do partial functional dependencies, or academic exercises, either

i just build tables

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

lol...if anyone out there can help me PLEASEEE help lol

That website link you gave me is awesome and explains it in simple terms, thank you very much!

I think, thinkkk that this is the solution to the above problem...

table 1:
    (PK) A
    B
    C

table 2:
    (PK) D
    E

table 3:
    (PK) A
    (PK) D
    F
    G

If anyone out there can tell me this is correct or where i've gone wrong, much appreciated!

Cheers

Wow in all seriousness I have spent quite a while tryin to get in terms with all of this, and after reading that simple website, I think I am starting to understand it....well when someone replies to my thread if i am right or not it would be a great help to see if i have understood it....

The only thing for me now is....

What on earth do you do for an example like this!?!?

R1
    a, b, c
    a -> c
    b -> c
    c -> a
    c -> b

Do you simply do:

Table 1:
    (PK) A
    C

Table 2:
    (FK) A
    (PK) B
    C

This is a confusing one, if I have got the first one right, then I think this is the last obstacle to understand! Im looking forward to a reply to help to give myself peace of mind

Cheers