Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Accessing SQL Server From Another PC

I have a database on my PC which I would like to setup to allow another PC, on the same network to allow it to use the database. how can I do this, rather than playing round trying to keep the databases in sync?

What version of SQL Server are you running?
    What type of access do you require? Access via SQL Management Client, or access to the data itself?

I have SQL Express running on my Dev machine at work and although it caught me out at the start, I can quite happily connect to it via the MS SQL MC.

Have SQl Express

SQL Express (2005?), access to the data and access through the console would be good, would like a hand developing a website after hours, am looking at setting up svn for the website as well, hope that explains the access I would like.

I currently have my PC setup over wireless to the router which connects to the internet, from there is a cat6 cable running to the other PC. I tried to set up a file sharing network, but there is some setting restricting access to my PC, though the other computer can see the network, (not sure if needed for SQL but would be better than transferring Images via skype), if you can help me with the SQL part would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Have a look here for an example of connecting to SQLExpress from a remote PC. You need to specify the port and the lick explains all.

Not sure I can help with the rest of it though.

Provided Answers: 6
    I would guess that you need to make an exception for your sql server in the Windows Firewall.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Using Comodo Firewall So would be guessing it'll ask me when the request comes through?, but will check that