Unanswered: Question on INCREMENTAL Backup/Restore

Hi All
    My db is db2 v9.5 fp1 Aix5.3
    I have a question regarding the INCREMENTAL (not DELTA) BACKUP/RESTORE.

1) how does incremental backup works?. does it backups only the tablespaces pages that are changed after the last full backup? or
    say if in a tablespace there are 25 tables and say i have modified data from one table.
    now how does the incremental backup works?. does it backsup the entire Tablespace or does it backsup only the pages that are changed .

2) if suppose this is my backup history
    SUNDAY full backup
    MONDAY Incremental backup
    TUESDAY Incremental backup

if i want to do a restore(on wednesday) then in what order should i restore?

if it is a manual Incremental restore then is this the correct order of restore
    restore Tuesday incremental backup
    restore Sunday Full backup;
    restore Monday Incremental Backup
    restore Tuesday Incremental Backup

how does the Automatic Incremental restore works is it the same approach as the above restore except it is done Automatically by looking at History file.

is it Ok if we do this way instead of the above restore process

restore Sunday Full backup;
    restore Tuesday Incremental Backup

here i am not restoring the Monday Incremental Backup

your help is appreciated.
    Last edited by dareman123; 11-12-08 at 03:00.

1) how does incremental backup works?. does it backups only the tablespaces pages that are changed after the last full backup? or
    say if in a tablespace there are 25 tables and say i have modified data from one table.
    now how does the incremental backup works?. does it backsup the entire Tablespace or does it backsup only the pages that are changed .

Yes, when we take incremental backup only the pages modified from last full backup will be backed up.

2) if suppose this is my backup history
    SUNDAY full backup
    MONDAY Incremental backup
    TUESDAY Incremental backup

if i want to do a restore(on wednesday) then in what order should i restore?

You can use
    "db2ckrst -d <database name> -t <timestamp> -r database" command to get the order of images to be restored.

Actually you can restore the above backup history in the following order. As you are using incremental backups, you can do

Restore sunday
    Restore tuesday ( as tuesday's backup image will have monday's backup changes also)

Thanks,
    Madhavi

Have you thought about RTFM? First hit in the manual when you search for "incremental backup": http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...6b%75%70%22%20
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development