Unanswered: Question about DB2 V8.1 32-bit and 64-bit instances and ports

Now that I've got DB2 V8.1 running on my HP-UX system, I noticed something interesting about the ports the 32-bit and 64-bit instances bind to when I start them.

Here are the DB2 contents in the /etc/services file
    Code:
    $ grep db2 /etc/services
    db2cdb2inst1    50000/tcp   # Connection port for DB2 instance db2inst1
    db2idb2inst1    50001/tcp   # Interrupt  port for DB2 instance db2inst1
    DB2_db2inst8    60000/tcp
    DB2_db2inst8_1  60001/tcp
    DB2_db2inst8_2  60002/tcp
    DB2_db2inst8_END        60003/tcp
    db2c_db2inst8   50002/tcp
    DB2_db2ins64    60004/tcp
    DB2_db2ins64_1  60005/tcp
    DB2_db2ins64_2  60006/tcp
    DB2_db2ins64_END        60007/tcp
    You see three ports listed for the 64-bit instance.

When I start the 32-bit instance, it binds to port db2c_db2inst8 (and that service name is shown in netstat output).

When I start the 64-bit instance, it binds to port 50064 and that port isn't listed in the services file.

Does anyone know why the 64-bit instance installer wouldn't update the services file with the default port used by the instance?

It's not a big deal since everything works but I'm curious about this.

Thanks!

Peace...

The 6000 series ports are created in /etc/services for DPF (Data Partitioning Feature) in case you decide to use it on a database in that instance. This is only for the ESE version of DB2, which is the only one that supports DPF. It doesn't matter whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit instance. DPF is not the same as Table Partitioning in V9, and is licensed separately, and typically is used for parallel processing with data warehouses. The reason there are multiple ports for DPF is that DPF uses multiple nodes for each paritition (which may be logical nodes on the same physical machine, or nodes on another physical machine). Each node (paritition) in the DPF database must have its own port, which must be known to the other nodes.

The other ports in /etc/services are usually added manually, although the GUI install may add an entry when creating the default database (I have never used the GUI install on Linux/UNIX so I can't say for sure).

The service name or port number is specified in the db2icrt command when creating an instance. If you use a port number when creating the instance, the entry in /etc/services is for documentation only. If you use a service name, then the port is resolved from the /etc/services file.

If you issue the command: db2 get dbm cfg, you will see the service name (or port number) for that instance.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Great! Thanks for the info!

Peace...