Unanswered: Compiling Access Forms into a Single 'READ ONLY' File

Hi Everyone,

Please could you advise me on the following:

I have created an Access database which contains 3 access forms:

Customer Index
    Customer Contact Details
    Customer Support Details

Each form is Linked and contains information that I want to give 'READ ONLY' Access to a number of users who will be able to access the forms at the same time.

Is it possible to create a Single File, ie: an .exe file which has a GUI or Front End that would be user friendly instead of them having to go into the database and selecting the Index Form and then so forth...

I would want the Database to stay intact as it is so that I can update it and add info but would this linked to another file for the users.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...

No - you picked the wrong software if you want to compile to an exe.

However, you can go to Tools->Startup and select a startup form. When they open the database this form opens automatically. Now - what we do next depends how determined you are to prevent people editing data.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks again Pootle Flump...

The Startup Form may be an option, I suppose after every update I do towards the database, would I have to re-create the Startup Form or would the updates automatically apply to the form the users access?

It's a must I create a way to prevent users from accessing any type of 'WRITE' Access towards editing the data or the design of the Database. But at the same time I will need to be able to update the database at anytime...

I appreciate your support....

Provided Answers: 59
    I'm confused
    do you mean create a switchboard (Access speak for a menu) so thatr when users open up the applciation they don't have to look for forms or reports.

do you mean create a MDE (in which case plain vanilla Access can do that

do you mean the run time which allows Access applications to run on machines which don't have Access installed
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Ah - to extend on Mark's post - you need to read up on splitting an access database into a front end and backend. You will then need to read up on Access security. This might involve workgroups, it will probably include some custom code too - I believe pkstormy has some good stuff in the codebank.

Ultimately, IMHO, Access\ JET's security model is a pile of poop. I think it might have improved in 2007 but I've never investigated.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Thanks for the reply Healdem...

The top point 'Switch Board' sounds the closest to what I need to create. I've tried creating an MDE file but that seems to stop all of my links from working and to be honest I didn't really understand the advantages of creating an MDE file in the first place...

Any advice on Switch Board and MDE files would be appreciated....

Quote Originally Posted by boams
    I didn't really understand the advantages of creating an MDE file in the first place...
    Code is compiled down to p-code. Apart from professional services\ highly skilled hacker, essentially unreadable. Certainly uneditable. A bit faster, a bit more compact. User can't edit or create some objects (forms, reports, modules) but can create tables & queries
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Thanks for the information Pootle Flump - I will look into these points...

The information within the Forms are not to confidential, however we've had issues in the past with users updating this source with incorrect information which makes it useless for everyone else.
    I just need something thats user friendly and the average user cannot edit...

thanks

You can make your forms read only (set properties like Allow deletes etc to false). It WILL NOT stop anyone that decides to edit tables directly, but they cannot do it through the forms. If you make an MDE, they can't change this property. Don't make an MDE, they can.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Thanks Pootle Flump - if I make an MDE file though I loose all of my links, is there a way that I prevent this from happening?

Thanks Pootle Flump - if I make an MDE file though I loose all of my links, is there a way that I prevent this from happening?
    I don't understand - what links?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I have setup links between each form via a Command Button, when I convert the database to an MDE file, the links stop working...

I have setup links between each form via a Command Button, when I convert the database to an MDE file, the links stop working...
    That should never happen. Pls post your code for one link that does not work.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump