RFH - modelling golf clubs & members (Was "Hello All, I am new, seeking help")

Good day to you all. I am seeking some help with my coursework. The first part is to draw an ERD diagram, the second part is to write some SQL queries based on my ERD. If anyone would like to help me or give me some tips then please e-mail me at gregorydanelian@hotmail.com so I can give you more information on the tasks (I may pay a small fee if your advice is very useful . Thank you for your time
    Greg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...nelian/sgu.jpg

I think I am nearly there. Please give me tips only otherwise it is cheating!

Here's a tip - post what you've done so far.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Cross posting. Ignore my comment. Please correct the link though- you can't post html. Jut use the WYSISYG
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Cross posting. Ignore my comment. Please correct the link though- you can't post html. Jut use the WYSISYG
    Sorry how do I correct the post. I saw another post on here that uses an html link so I assumed it was ok. How do I post WYSISYG?

Link sorted - ta.

Moving to the appropriate forum.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

what pootleflump meant (I think) is ignore his first post here #3, as when he was posting that you were posting the link.

so havign doen your initial ERD, in your opinion does it match the requirments of the real world you are trying to model. to a certain extent thats alwasy a personal choice, and for coursework its a very personal choive.. providing your accompaning text matches the ERD it deosn't matter to much if it does match the real world. its coursework, its made up, so you can have any ERD you like.. providing it and your assumptions are compatable.

If you are happy with the ERD, then Id sugegst you fleash out the ERD into a data model creating attributes for your entities

eg
    a golf club has the following attributes
    presumably a name, an address, a contact point

a golf course belongs to a club (you may have to watch that, as in the real world a golf course may not belong to a club at all... it may be owned by the local authority)
    it will have the following attributes
    number of holes, a standard scratch score

you have a porential problem with courses that have say 27 holes arranged in blocks of 9 holes, is that 3 courses (A+B, A+B & B+C)....

a player has the following attributes
    presuambly a name, an address, a handicap, a phone, and a bad sense of fashion

once you have fleshed out the data model then you are capable of building your SQL. Im assuming your course will want some queries using joins, different where clauses, different sort orders and the like. the best way of doing that in my books is to create your datamodel, put it into what ever SQL engine you have access to , putting in some test data and then drun some queries.. the test data and the output of the queries shoudl satisfy your lecturer/teacher/whoever that you have met the requirement of the course. IE your pathway from ERD, to data model, using normalisation (if you must) to data model to test db & data to queries and results
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you for your advice, I have a refined version for your viewing pleasure.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...lian/sgu-1.jpg

I am tempted to use a Superclass because the club captain and secretary will be members also...but I do not want to over complicate at this stage. Simple is best I think!

Thanks again

can a member belong to more than one club
    does a club have a single form of membership, or can there be multiples types of membership, but only one type per member

I think you need to go through each entity and ask questions of yourself
    ferinstance can a member have more than one address, or more than one phione number
    do you think you have captured all (the relevant) attributes for each entity. ferinstance dos a club havea a website, do club officials have email addresses, how would a prospective member apply to join a club.
    what do you need for your homework
    can you build up a narratvie whihc supports your ERD & Data model
    do you think your data model supports your ERD
    are their any enitites which you think need reviewing

have you given any thoiygh as yet as to what SQL you want to present as part of your project (I'm hoping you are not going to say select * from mytable) is good enough.
    what level of complexity whould your SQL be.... bear in mind SQL can be as simple as select * from mytable or as complex as a multi table join with sub selects

alterantively the SQL may be DDL ie create table blah.......
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton