Thread: Oem

Unanswered: Oem

we are running oracle on AIX platform. the installation was done by a contractor. now i can't seem to access the enterprise manager, and i need it.
    i want to know if maybe it was not installed and we may have to insatll it separately or its just a matter of activating it.
    somebody help!

Provided Answers: 1
    How are you trying to access OEM? What error message are you getting?
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

hi,
    the thing is i dot even know where to start from because AIX in on the servers and then on the front end we use windows, so we always access the application and the database from the windows front, and i have just been using the SQL for database queries. but i have not installed the oracle client on my PC. i guess i need to do this? another this is how can i access OEM from AIX for example when i go to the server?

From your (windows) PC, you can access OEM using the following URL in Internet Explorer:

http://<server_name>:<port number>/em

If you have only one database installed then the port number should be 1158.

You don't need Oracle Client installed on your PC to access OEM.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

i have tried this and its just saying page cannot be displayed. maybe i should find out how do i check the port numbers because we have 4 instances installed.
    another thing when i try to connect from the client on the PC that has client installed i am gettingthe following errors ('failed to parse tnsnames.ora.file
    oracle net config serviceAliasException
    TNS-04404: no error
    caused by oracle net config configException TNS-04414 file error
    caused by TNS-04612 null RHS "ptelcase1" 0 (ptelcase1 is the name of one of the instances))

Have you tried contacting the contractor & asking him what he did (and didn't do)?

To help further with this can you let us know what version & release of Oracle you are using?

we have oracle 10g the operating system is AIX version 5. i hope this information is enough, but i will try to contact the contractor and hear what they say.
    thanks

I would expect DBConsole (Oracle's new name for OEM) to be installed by default. The first database should use Port 1158 & the subsequent databases should then use ports 5500 onwards, so Port 1158 should work for at least one of the databases. However, there should be a file on your server called portlist.ini, which lists the ports being used - there should be entries looking like "Enterprise Manager Console HTTP Port (YOUR_DB_NAME) = 1158".

Have you checked to see that the DBConsole service for each database has been started on the server? If not, start the service/s, otherwise try restarting them.

The TNS error suggests that there might be an error within the tnsnames.ora file - either the file itself is corrupt or the entry for one or more of your databases contains invalid characters. You can try recreating the entry for your database/s by using Oracle's Net Manager.

Oem

hi,
    i have managed to access the OEM, i just discovered the dbconsole was stopped so i jst had to start it.
    i logged on to AIX as oracle then set the SID and then checked the status
    'emctl status dbconsole'. then i had to start it. after that i just used the URL and it worked.
    thanks for your help it was all the info u gave me that gave me ideas.

No probs - glad it was sorted, & thanks for letting others know how the problem was solved