Unanswered: Standalone DB to Replace MDB?

Hi,
    Is there a standalone database that can replace MS Access for use on a Unix web server?

I know there is MySQL... but I want something that I can move easily on web servers as well as use them on a desktop.

Thanks

You can use DB2 Express-C, which is free for development and production and runs on Windows and Linux. You can use it on any size machine, but the DB2 engine will only use 2 CPU cores (one dual-core CPU, etc.) and 2 GB of memory maximum. There is no limit on database size.

DB2 Express-C V9.5 FP2 betas are available, and I would get those instead of FP 0 release (regular V9.5). The beta is for packaging only, FP 2 has been available for the real DB2 code (the one that costs $30K per CPU) for at least a month.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/...s/support.html
    http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/.../download.html

DB2 does not come with a good query tool like Access does, but you can use many 3rd party tools, including Access, to get data out of DB2.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks

Is that all the choices?

Quote Originally Posted by fwhilton
    Thanks

Is that all the choices?

This section of the forum is about IBM's DB2 product (not dBase in case you are confused). If you don't like it, go somewhere else.
    M. A. Feldman

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    This section of the forum is about IBM's DB2 product (not dBase in case you are confused). If you don't like it, go somewhere else.
    ummm... wow.
    Why are you talking to me like that?

I do not see a general section to ask general questions. I am only asking for a broad list of options to choose from.

I don't know which thread on DBForum to ask this.

God Bless you

ummm... wow.
    Why are you talking to me like that?
    I was kind enough to provide you with information about DB2 Express-C, the finest free database on the planet (I sensed you wanted something "free" or very inexpensive), including links to other sources and the download site. Instead of a "thank you" I get "Why are you talking to me like that" and a condescending and insincere "God Bless you" as you try to put me in my place.

As I previously stated "This section [the DB2 section] of the forum is about IBM's DB2 product." It is not a place to discuss which other products besides DB2 that one should consider. I am sure there are other forums, newsgroups, or websites where you can get information about that.

Now tell us the truth, did you think this was dBase forum?
    M. A. Feldman

I was kind enough to provide you with information about DB2 Express-C, the finest free database on the planet (I sensed you wanted something "free" or very inexpensive), including links to other sources and the download site. Instead of a "thank you" I get "Why are you talking to me like that" and a condescending and insincere "God Bless you" as you try to put me in my place.

As I previously stated "This section [the DB2 section] of the forum is about IBM's DB2 product." It is not a place to discuss which other products besides DB2 that one should consider. I am sure there are other forums, newsgroups, or websites where you can get information about that.

Now tell us the truth, did you think this was dBase forum?
    Ummmm?? What is going on here? Condesending???

When I posted.. I put smiley faces in the thread.

I am thankful that you said DB2. I was just wondering if there were more.
    I asked you why you were talking like that because you told me to go to another forum.

QOUTE: "If you don't like it, go somewhere else" (that is kind of odd)

I told you before I only posted in this thread because there were no other threads for general DB questions.

And NO... i didn't know that this forum is dbase only forum. The title says DBForums and I see several threads on all kinds of databases.

So, I am a little perplexed by your response to "go to another forum"...
    did you mean another thread?

I am sorry if you misunderstand why I am asking.
    You are totally taking my response wrong.

Last edited by fwhilton; 11-21-08 at 09:09.

Also... check post #3...

I said Thanks!!

And NO... i didn't know that this forum is dbase only forum. The title says DBForums and I see several threads on all kinds of databases.
    This is not a dBase forum, it is for IBM's DB2 database product. There are other sections of the dbfourms for other databases, and one for "other."
    M. A. Feldman

When I posted.. I put smiley faces in the thread.
    But you weren't smiling when you posted that, were you?
    M. A. Feldman

But you weren't smiling when you posted that, were you?
    Marcus,
    Go back and look at ALL my threads... they all have smiley faces.
    And.. especially look at #7, which is the post you are referring to.... it has two smiley's

And I really mean this... Jesus Loves You

Could you please be considerate and avoid religious things here? I don't like missionaries, especially not when doing something work-related.

Stick to the point you try to make or the question you want to ask. Everything else borders on (or already is) offensive to various people.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development