Unanswered: OCI - help regarding inserting date into table

Hi All,

Greetings,
    I am newbie in oracle. n i have been given an assignment in OCI where i have to insert certain values like customerid, customername, dateofpurchase, amount ,itemid into a table. all the things r working fine except for i have been trying to figure out how to insert a datevalue of type date into a table, but couldn't succeed.
    could someone illustrate with an code snippet for inserting a date value.

Thanks in Advance

Provided Answers: 4
    What does it, actually, mean that you couldn't succeed? Any error? If so, which one? Could you post code you've used?

i have taken dateofpurchase as dop of type ub1
    ub1 dop[7];

n the following is the code snippet i have used for inserting into my table cust_info

//code
    const text * inst=(text *)"insert into cust_info(custid,name,addr,dateofpurchase,amount,i temid) \
    values(:custid,:custname,:custaddr,:dateofpur,:amo unt,:itemid)";

r=OCIStmtPrepare(stmt,err,inst,strlen((char *)inst),OCI_NTV_SYNTAX,OCI_DEFAULT);
    if(r==OCI_SUCCESS)
    {
    checkerr(err,OCIBindByName(stmt,&bindp1,err,(text *)":custid",-1,(dvoid *)&custid,sizeof(sword),SQLT_INT,(dvoid *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub4)0,(ub4 *)0,OCI_DEFAULT));
    checkerr(err,OCIBindByName(stmt,&bindp2,err,(text *)":custname",-1,(dvoid *)custname,sizeof(custname),SQLT_STR,(dvoid *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub4)0,(ub4 *)0,OCI_DEFAULT));
    checkerr(err,OCIBindByName(stmt,&bindp3,err,(text *)":custaddr",-1,(dvoid *)custaddr,sizeof(custaddr),SQLT_STR,(dvoid *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub4)0,(ub4 *)0,OCI_DEFAULT));
    checkerr(err,OCIBindByName(stmt,&bindp4,err,(text *)":dateofpur",-1,(dvoid *)dop,sizeof(dop),SQLT_DAT,(dvoid *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub4)0,(ub4 *)0,OCI_DEFAULT));
    checkerr(err,OCIBindByName(stmt,&bindp5,err,(text *)":amount",-1,(dvoid *)&amount,sizeof(sword),SQLT_INT,(dvoid *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub4)0,(ub4 *)0,OCI_DEFAULT));
    checkerr(err,OCIBindByName(stmt,&bindp6,err,(text *)":itemid",-1,(dvoid *)itemid,sizeof(itemid),SQLT_STR,(dvoid *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub2 *)0,(ub4)0,(ub4 *)0,OCI_DEFAULT));
    r=OCIStmtExecute(svc,stmt,err,1,0,NULL,NULL,OCI_DE FAULT);
    }

//code ends

this code executes fine, but the data inserted for dateofpurchase is displayed as 53-, -43 when i have given input as 090508

Provided Answers: 4
    Having in mind that I'm not familiar with OCI, perhaps you should pay attention to inserting a DATE into the column, not a string.

In other words, although '090508' looks like a date to you, Oracle might not know what it means. I, for example, do not. Which part of it is year, which is month and which is a day?

SQL statement might look like this:
    Code:
    INSERT INTO this_table (ID, date_column)
    VALUES
    (1, TO_DATE('090508', 'ddmmyy'));
    See if you can adjust it to your code. Pay attention to the TO_DATE function!

thanks for tat piece of advise littlefoot.
    i have tried that also, bt it din help much.

can somebody help me in this regard

Hi,

Can you post the code you used to declare the variable 'dop' and its value assignement ?

btw, 'dop' must a structure (not a string) that needs value computation to fill its members

You could use as well the type SQL_ODT in order to use the OCI public OCIDate structure..