Question Unanswered: ODBC Access Driver Failing - Unspecified Error

Hi,
    Im looking for a little help with a connection issue to my Access Databases using ASP.

I run an ASP intranet system interfacing to access databases to managing certain things like equipment, staff in the company. I have my own laptop which runs the ASP/IIS software needed for me to test web pages on localhost (my laptop) for testing purposes. I have a 2nd machine (desktop) that hosts the website of which everyone has access to over our company network, this also runs the whole IIS setup also.

Both systems having been running fine for 2 years until recently. I would develop my pages using ASP with connections to access databases on my laptop using dreamweaver and then upload to the hosting desktop to make any changes live.

My own laptop runs XP SP3, fully up-to-date with all the latest AVG antivirus etc. The laptop runs Office 2007 STD with SP1 and updates, plus Access 2000 for editing the database. The Desktop runs XP +SP2 with IIS + ASP installed on it. Both systems have the correct permissions setup and were both working correctly up until last week. The desktop PC serving the Intranet is still working fine, but the problem i have is that when trying to test my pages on my laptop it returns the following error:

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
    Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    Unspecified error
    /equipment/index.asp, line 46

line 46 in index.asp refers to the following connection string:

Dim MM_EquipmentConn_STRING
    MM_EquipmentConn_STRING = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/equipment/DB/Equipment.mdb")

Please note that this connection string has worked previously on my laptop and currently works ok on the desktop machine, hosting the live database.

Now, my thinking is that one of the recent updates installed for Office may have screwed with my database connection settings. I beleive this to be the case because Office 2007 now makes the old Jet database drivers rundundant and uses a new database driver called ACE.
    Looking in my ODBC connection manager the following drivers are set-up:

Microsoft Access Driver: 4.00.6305.00 (JET Driver)
    (msjet40.dll - version 4.0.9511.0 - SP3 Version)
    Microsoft Access Driver: 12.00.6211.1000 (ACE Driver)

Now after learning of the ACE driver that MSO has installed i have tried modifying my connection string in ASP to use the new driver - in the thinking that MSO may have broken the old one????

However it still ends up with the same problem:

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
    Microsoft Office Access Database Engine (0x80004005)
    Unspecified error
    /newtraining/index.asp, line 10

line 10 in index.asp refers to the following connection string:

Dim MM_New_Training_STRING
    MM_New_Training_STRING = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/newtraining/DB/training.mdb")

Just to note i have tried re-installing the JET drivers, however i can't run the latest service pack (JET SP8) becuase a newer version is installed. I have also reinstalled XP SP3 on the system i the hope it may update some of the JET/ODBC files but no luck either. I have also un/reinstalled Office in the hope that the installation of the ACE drivers may revoke functionality in ODBC also. I have also restored my system to a point previous to NOV 11 which was the last time i edited some of the ASP pages and the testing of them on the local machine worked ok. This also hasnt proven to work yet. Also note that MS Office 07 has been running on my system since August, so the ACE drivers have been on the lappy since then. Security updates for office 07 were installed only recently.

Just to re-interate this isnt a problem with the ASP connection string as it works on my live intranet server. If anyone has any ideas i would really apreciate them; hopefully i'd like to avoid reinstalling XP. My testing server/Laptop also runs a dual boot into Vista Bus. so i can run testing on my laptop under that OS if needed; but i would prefer to keep on XP.

I look forward to your responses and will try and give any further info if you need it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ash

I had the same problem for ages: error messages on all my local websites using IIS / asp / microsoft jet database / msjet40.dll / XP SP3 when everything used to work correctly before.

It's possible the problem arised when SP3 was installed but since I was not testing the websites often, I can't be sure.

Anyhow, I found that this helped me:
    You receive a database results error message when you connect to database from an ASP page in FrontPage

I gave "everyone" read & write permissions to my %temp% folder (c:\windows\temp)

Hope that will help...

Thanks for your reply.
    I think your correct in your thinking. I've tried re-installing XP3 so that it would apply the Jet updates contained within. However this still did not recitfy it.

Because of the length of time its taken to try and work this out i have had to re-install windows as i needed this functionality for work. After re-installing with XP inc SP3 preinstalled and running all updates it all seems to work ok now.

Before i did this i also tried the temp idea you mentioned but this did not work either unfortuanetly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Provided Answers: 59
    surely this is an ASP problem not an Access problem...
    do you want it moving to the ASP forum?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

This isnt to do with asp connection strings or the like. There was an inherent problem with Windows providing access to the microsoft access database file using the JET database drivers. For some reason the JET drivers had been corrupted; most likely after a hotfix install.

As mentioned previously the ASP pages work on the live server, so the problem was specifically to do with the windows setup on the tesing machine.
    In the end i have just reinstalled windows, which although a pain was by far the quickest solution in getting this mess sorted out.

From my experience, if this problem were to happen again, im not sure there would be many other options other than to reinstall. I had tried resetting permissions on the inet and temp dir. Also i had tried reinstalling xp sp3 plus all hotfixes. plus i had tried reinstalling JET DB drivers. All to no avail. Although a pain, reinstalling xp means my machine is running nice lean and clean.

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by aph402
    This isnt to do with asp connection strings or the like. There was an inherent problem with Windows providing access to the microsoft access database file using the JET database drivers. For some reason the JET drivers had been corrupted; most likely after a hotfix install.
    fine

however I'd suggest you are more likely to get and answer to what is a problem connecting from and ASP application to JET on the ASP forum than asking on the Access forum.

your diagnosis may well be correct that its not a fault in the ASP app, but equally its not a fault in Access. it may be a problem with permissions or config, both of which are more likely to have been resolved in an ASP context than a Access context. If people are using Access to connect ot JET data they will not be going through the same steps as an ASP connection.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton