Unanswered: Import multiple files by file date order then update and append

Hi all

I hope you can help, I have done a search on forums however cant see to find what im looking for.

I have 430 text files that I need to import to a table and more to follow , however I need it todo the following.

1: import text files in date order each filename has the following format

RefDeb20051202 "RefDebyyyymmdd"

2: for each file imported it needs to update data that is already there but also append data that is not there.

file format

For June text file RefDeb20080601

12345, / / , je9999999d, Homer, simpson "not supplied DOB & wrong NI"

For july text file RefDeb20080701

12345, 07/09/1978, je322899d, Homer, simpson "theres an update to DOB and update to NI"
    23456, 11/11/1988, tw522893c, Steve, simpson " New record"

all files are in the same format to import, I could use field 1 which is a unique reference number to check if it needs to updated.

any thoughts on the best way todo this would be great, thanks all.

Assuming that you know the order for importing the files. I would import file 1 into a temporary table. Then append this temporary table to another table e.g. table_data using the field 1 as the primary key. Now we must assume that there maybe more than one record for a value in field 1, so we must update the table_data with the data in our temporary table.

For each other file we need to delete the temporary table then import, append and update.