Unanswered: Best Option for Database application

Good afternoon:

I've recently learned that ADP Projects are going away, which leaves me with a choice for application development. I can:
    1. Develop in Access 2003 (a familiar application to me, but one without ACCDB/ACCDE format.
    2. Develop in Access 2007 (requires upgrade of Office Suite, but allows newer file format)
    or
    3. Develop in visual studio (requires a greater learning curve as I have never developed anything in visual basic/visual studio (except VBA for access).

I've had Basic, Fortran, C, and C++ programming in the past along with a few Access databases that I've previously written. I want to compile the final project so that my functions cannot be seen - including encryption routines that make the data in the tables useless without the proper front end application as well as proper login/privileges.

What are the thoughts toward expending the extra effort to do this in visual studio. Any special considerations around reports as well? I haven't looked into visual studio for reports, but the forms and events look similar.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Are you talking .NET development (Visual Studio 2003 +)?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Are you talking .NET development (Visual Studio 2003 +)?
    Visual Studio 2005.

Provided Answers: 59
    like Access itself /net can talk to virtually any db you wish (assuming that db has ODBC drivers)

FWIW I don't understand why you don't leave your application in Access and deploy as an MDE, assuming that you are more familiar with Access, than say .NET.

there are security issues which would make me want to choose another back end, one other than JET, for anything that was critical or sensitive
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    like Access itself /net can talk to virtually any db you wish (assuming that db has ODBC drivers)

FWIW I don't understand why you don't leave your application in Access and deploy as an MDE, assuming that you are more familiar with Access, than say .NET.

there are security issues which would make me want to choose another back end, one other than JET, for anything that was critical or sensitive
    Well, I'm inclined to leave it in Access as that's what I am familiar with BUT, I was also inclined to use an ADP/ADE format because I have an ADP database to model after that solves 25-30% of the problems. I wasn't going to copy it, but I like the approach, and I could use it as a model for what I wanted to do. I could do the same in MDB, but I find that there is not a direct port on certain things - they work in ADP but give errors in MDB (this is just on the outset, without having begun development in earnest.

The fact that I was "misinformed" about the apparent benefits of ADP, and I have to shift gears anyway made me think that I should at least explore the benefits of the various approaches before investing significant time in development.

Visual studio looks like more trouble to work with - at least initially.
    MDB had the benefit of familiarity.
    ADP has the benefit of a working model to "springboard" from.

.NET, C#, web front end, Enterprise level RDBMS will do wonders for your skill set and careers prospects.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.