Lightbulb Unanswered: Creating a new users for a db2 instance

Hello all,

I am again cursed with doing the work of our db2 admin... while he gets the...

Here's the problem.

We have this databases

database TESTA
    database PRODB

instance INSTANCEA can access TESTA
    instance INSTANCEB can access TESTB

Now we need to create a new instance (e.g. INSTANCEC) that can be used to access database TESTA?

How do I go about doing this? I would appreciate any steps or guides to successfully complete this task.

Thank you very much all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

If you just want to access the Database TESTA, then create an User "INSTANCEC". (either in Unix/Windows ).

1> Grant that user the required CONNECT Privilege and other privileges. If you don't want to do that, then you can Control-Center as well for that.

Jayanta Datta
    DB2 UDB DBA
    IBM India, Global Delivery
    New Delhi

Yep. How do I go about creating INSTANCEC? Would this via the command line or is there a special menu for this. Thanks.

If your system is Windows, then create the New-user from Control-Panel--> User-Management.

If it's on Linux/Unix, you can ask your system admin to create the new user and then you can grant that user all required privileges. You can also refer to the following: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=1780/urm0111f/

If you have privileges you can also use SMITTY utility to create new users on AIX.

Jayanta Datta
    DB2 UDB DBA
    IBM India, Global Delivery
    New Delhi

Provided Answers: 1
    First of all, you do not need a new _instance_. Instance is just a set of executables and configuration files which defines a separate DB2 database manager process.

Another thing to point out is that the user and group management in DB2 is delegated to the operating system, so you should create a new user the way you normally do on your platform (which you failed to mention). Once this is done, you should connect to the database TESTA _as an existing administrator_ and issue appropriate GRANT statements to give the new user necessary permissions. Check the manuals for the correct syntax, depending on what you want to allow the new user to be able to do.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.