Question Unanswered: MS Access Reports Via Web

Hi all,

I have an online database to record evaluation comments from a training course. When I want to report on the comments, I need to download the database and open up the reports from within the database when it is on my local network.

What I want to know, is rather than having to download the database all the time, is there a procedure I could use where I can call up an access report from within the database straight from the web interface? - Very much like the DoCmd.OpenReport command within VBA.

If this is possible, could someone please help me out with the 'how to' bit?

The second part of this, is that when I run the reports locally, I have a form to run them from in which I set the date parameters along with various other details. These details are then set as global values and retrieved within the report query from functions called WhatIsMyGlobalStartDate(), WhatIsMyGlobalEndDate() etc.

If it is possible to access a report as in my first question, how would I pass these parameters over in requesting the report?

Sorry to be a nuisance to you but I would really appreciate any help that you could give me.

Christy

Typically what happens is that a database such as Access (basically just consisting of tables although it could contain more objects that just aren't accessible online) would be put on the Web.

Then "dynamic" Web pages (such as classic ASP pages which include VBScript, HTML, and/or JavaScript) would be created acting like the old desktop database's queries, forms, and reports to access the database - all hosted on a Web Server.

Dynamic Web pages are similar in many ways to regular HTML pages. But they are "live" because the user can read from and write to information in the database.

Not all Web hosts will handle dynamic Web pages but many do. The Web hosts that can handle ASP pages usually have a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 operating system running an IIS Web server.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Sorry for my very late reply...

I just wanted to say thanks for replying. I thought as much before I even asked but on the off chance there was a way to do this I thought I should ask. I didn't really want to go to the hassle of designing a series of new pages if I had no need too. Thanks again.

And happy new year.