Unanswered: IDENTITY column...

I have a table that uses an identity column to auto-generate a primary key.

The problem is that when I do an insert, I need to insert the number into two different tables.

So my question is, how do I capture the value auto-generated in the insert to the first table in order to insert it into the second table?

Assume the Employee table has a PK of empno, which is an integer defined as a identity column.

select empno from final table (insert into employee (empno, name, salary) values (default, 'Smith', 75000));
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

I understand what you are doing in the insert, but I don't understand the whole thing.

I assume "final table" is the second table I will be inserting into. However, how can I select a value that doesn't exist? I also don't see where you insert the auto-generated number into the second table.

Can you provide a few more details on your example?

No, final table is not a real table, it is the contents of the employee table after the data is inserted. Instead of just asking a bunch of questions, try the statement I gave you (on a real table). If you have any specific questions about how final table works, check out the manual.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390