Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEED HELP ! car rental shop database

Hi all , i am kinda noobish for all this database thing but i need to normalize some data for a car rental shop. I really can not do this work and i ask for help from u guys.

This is the data :

Description of the shop: a small company renting out six cars at the moment, which also has two contracted drivers to drive the cars (optional service for customers).

Requirement: Design and implement in MS Access a DB which will meet the following conditions („user views“) set out by the customer.

User views :

CARS: License plate number, type of car, required driving license class, price per day

DRIVERS: Name, contact info (phone no – both cell and land line, email, address), driving license class, price per day

ORDERS: Customer, rental days, type of car, name of driver (if required), car returned in good order?

COSTUMERS: Name, Contact info (both land line and cell phone number, email, address), driving license class and serial number

PAYMENT: Type of payment, amount paid, date

Your task is to design a DB according to the requirements of the costumer, implement it in MS Access and prepare a presentation (oral or written) for the costumer (for details see below).

I have troubles with the normalization to 3rd normal form.

Thanks for the help.

that's pretty brazen, just laying the homework assignment out like that and asking us to solve it for you

make an effort, and we will critique what you've done

also, you may want to have a look at this thread for ideas
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Although I know I should be the last person to pull up others on shpellin, but I am especially taken with the entity 'Costumers'. I have a mental image of a car rental business solely renting out cars to people involved in film and theatre garment design
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    that's pretty brazen, just laying the homework assignment out like that and asking us to solve it for you

make an effort, and we will critique what you've done

also, you may want to have a look at this thread for ideas
    lol ok nvm

the thing is that my brother is wasting his time on some World of Warcraft game and the jerk want me to help him...gonna kick his ass and thats it... :d

Should you be doing your brothers homework for him (especially if he's not willing to even try himself)?

Letting someone fail on their own is better than cheating them through a pass.
    George
    Home | Blog

so recognising that this isn't your homework, but your brothers............
    what have you got so far
    what have you done
    what headaches have you had to date
    as they used to say in primary school, behind the bike shed (god that dates me) I'll show you mine if you show me yours

for what its worth here's my effort....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarRentalSchema.png  

thank you man for ur work but i will not tell nothing to my brother cause u r right if i (that means you) help him now he will do nothing by himself in the future.... so i think he will fail...nvm anyway thank you again

lol he is drawing something at the moment in the other room ... drawing the design ... i will uninstall that game from his PC.
    Last edited by daliboy; 12-10-08 at 18:49.

so whats the problem
    do you think the pdf encapsualtes the user requirement
    do you see any duplications of data
    do you see any problems
    what attempts have you made at normalising the data
    what attemtps have you made to solve this

all I see is a rejig of the first post, this time probably copying the original coursework requirement

incidentally if you want to get answers here (for anythign, but especially homework) you need to make an effort, you need to ask focussed questions.. ie I have a problem with this specific area, rather than a general multi facted problem or a I can't be bothered to do thios, are their any mugs out there who will do it for me. you are also cheating yourself by not doing the exercise (I don't believe that much homework or coursework is invented fro the hell of it, normalisation is something that most db designers do intuitively they rarely go through the process of 1nf,2nf.........?nf. but unelss you understand the process and reasons you can't just create a 3nf db.

A final point uploading your pdf to some Russian uploading site is pointless... this site will accept a PDF upto 10Mb size, and doesn't involve a 90 second delay downloading it

omg how can i send you my papers with the tables which i have drawn with PENCIL a ? postoffice ?
    man u do not need to help me !
    lol

i have drawn many tables and set all the primary and foreign keys but how can i be sure that it WORKS? that is CORRECT?
    Last edited by daliboy; 12-11-08 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by daliboy
    omg how can i send you my papers with the tables which i have drawn with PENCIL a ? postoffice ?
    man u do not need to help me !
    lol

i have drawn many tables and set all the primary and foreign keys but how can i be sure that it WORKS? that is CORRECT?
    to check it works put it into the db that you are targeting.. if that's Access then do it in Access. put in some sample data
    make sure your queries meet the original user requirements

its not for use to verify your design, to validate it. if you have a problem ask away, but if you want someone to look it over just to see then do it yourself. its the only effective way to validate these things in any event

you asked what would be the most appropriate tool to create your diagrams.... my response was and is, for a beginner that's pencil, paper & rubber*, as there will be many false starts, mistakes and miscomprehensions.. none of which are a problem, they are part of the learning process.

So I take it you didn't "like" my data model?

*eraser for those speaking English as a foreign language

no i think ur data model is good but i think there are too many tables ... maybe i am wrong i don know... thanks for the last post