Unanswered: Error opening file - add a new chunk

Hi there,

I am running Informix Dynamic server V7.31 UD2x4 on Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf) - SAP 4.6C

I am trying to extend (add) a table space for table psapbtab on to /informix/CAP/sapdata/physdev3/data31 with the following command, as user informix:

onspaces -a psapbtab -p /informix/CAP/sapdata/physdev3/data31 -o 0 -s 10240

It is giving me the following error: Error opening file /informix/CAP/sapdata/physdev3/data31

I have also tried using the program sapdba, but it is giving a simular error, regarding permissions and access.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Provided Answers: 1
    In "Informix language" what are you doing is "adding a chunk to a (psapbtab) dbspace".
    I think there is some error with opening file "/informix/CAP/sapdata/physdev3/data31"

So, in Informix world, if you want to add some chunk to a dbspace, first you must "prepare" storage - meaning create cooked file or raw device. In your case I suppose you're using cooked files and you must prepare file for adding it as chunk
    as user root:
    Code:
    touch filename
    in your case:
    Code:
    touch /informix/CAP/sapdata/physdev3/data31
    still as user root:
    Code:
    chmod 660 filename; chown informix.informix filename
    in your case:
    Code:
    chmod 660 /informix/CAP/sapdata/physdev3/data31; chown informix.informix /informix/CAP/sapdata/physdev3/data31
    next try as user informix if you have permission on directories to that file:
    Code:
    touch filename
    in your case:
    Code:
    touch /informix/CAP/sapdata/physdev3/data31
    if you get permission denied error than you have to look directories permissions.

At the and you can run your onspaces command.
    HTH