Unanswered: Sorting in Excel

On the first three rows of a worksheet I have some things that relate to running macros. Is there a way to sort the rows below (name, address etc) where the top three rows are not involved.

Also, is there a way that I can copy rows from one excel file and paste to another but in such a way that the data would start from column 3 or whichever, that is, not commencing from the first column.

Provided Answers: 2
    You can sort part of a worksheet in Excel by selecting the required range and Data -> Sort.

Similarly, Excel will allow you to select as little or as much of a worksheet as you like and copy it into another. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

I want to copy data in one .xls and paste it into another but whereby the pasted data might start at column 3.

With sorting I am thinking of the type of Excels I see from insurance companies and the "headers'" not forming part of the sort, they continue to remain on top. I am wondering how to do that and if it can be extened for a couple of rows.

Thanks for your interest.

When it comes to copying and pasting, you just copy the range(s) that you want and paste them into the target worksheet. If your required range starts at column C, begin your selection from column C.

When it comes to sorting, if you select a range and fire off the sort command, Excel will try to identify a header row. If it can't find one, it will prompt you to indicate if there is one or not. However, if you mean that you want one or more rows to remain at the top of the screen or one or more columns to remain on the left when the user scrolls down or right, you need to select the cell below and to the right of the edge of the row(s) and column(s) concerned, and then select Window -> Freeze panes.

Thanks for that. The clicking on the cell and then Paste did the job. I am getting there

However, if you mean that you want one or more rows to remain at the top of the screen or one or more columns to remain on the left when the user scrolls down or right, you need to select the cell below and to the right of the edge of the row(s) and column(s) concerned, and then select Window -> Freeze panes.
    Many thanks. I think I can hunt down how to do it....since I know it can be done.

You're welcome!

Simple Solution

Try splitting the rows, then highlight the lower rows and perform a sort. After the sort, delete the blank row, and everything will line up again. Hope this helps.

Kimm
    - oDesk