Question Unanswered: SQL Server Security

Hello All,

I'm wondering how secure it would be to have my web applications hosted offsite and have them connect to my sql server that is onsite? Is this a bad idea? The purpose of this is because all my reporting software is in house and connects to our current sql server but I want our sites to use the same data but I do not wish to host them on our servers. Thanks for your time.

I don't see this as primarily a security issue but I expect it will make the whole service harder to manage and possibly expensive on bandwidth between you and the hoster. Why not host the reports as well? Or just host the database server and do the reporting remotely.

Well, the reports will never be accessed offsite. They are mainly for engineers and accounting ppl onsite.

Quote Originally Posted by tready29485
    Well, the reports will never be accessed offsite. They are mainly for engineers and accounting ppl onsite.
    Are you saying that's a problem? Why?

Another option would be to create a new database on-site for just the reporting data and then update it regularly from the hosted site.