Unanswered: Migrating the whole server

We have a certain server unit where our MS SQL Server is running and we're planning to change the server but we must move the whole database of the MS SQL Server to the new one because we have lots of important data's and stored procedures there.

So how can I migrate all the data's, stored procedures and all of its resources if ever we're gonna move the ms sql server to a new server?

Provided Answers: 54
    Moving the database is trivial: back it up, copy the backup file to the new server, restore it, you're done.

There are lots of "add on" goodies that are a bit more challenging... Logins are a good challenge, but I think Blindman published a script to move them. Linked servers and their associated logins can be fun, although they can be scripted sans-password fairly easily. Depending on the vintage of your servers, the associated DTS / SSIS packages can be fun, but they are often pretty simple too depending on how complex they are and how heavily they are interwoven into the server and AD where they exist now.

The best situation is one where you can do a few "test moves" to see how things work before you have to do the "real world" move.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Moving the database is trivial: back it up, copy the backup file to the new server, restore it, you're done.

There are lots of "add on" goodies that are a bit more challenging... Logins are a good challenge, but I think Blindman published a script to move them. Linked servers and their associated logins can be fun, although they can be scripted sans-password fairly easily. Depending on the vintage of your servers, the associated DTS / SSIS packages can be fun, but they are often pretty simple too depending on how complex they are and how heavily they are interwoven into the server and AD where they exist now.

The best situation is one where you can do a few "test moves" to see how things work before you have to do the "real world" move.

-PatP
    I remember I made a few test of backing up the data. One thing I notice was the stored procedures and functions didn't came along.

Provided Answers: 54
    What tools did you use to make the data backup? You can't back up the data using the SQL Server's built-in tools without also backing up the stored procedures and functions too.

-PatP