Unanswered: what's new in v9.5 comparing with v8.2

Need your advice please.

We are getting ready for migration from v8.2 to v9.5 and I am doing research on v9.5 new features comparing with v8.2. V9.5 documentation mentions what's new in v9.5 comparing with v9.1 but I need to find the differences between 8.2 and 9.5. It would be too much to process what's new in 9.1 and then what's new in 9.5. Any suggestions on how to do this research in more efficient way?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by MarkhamDBA; 12-16-08 at 11:36.
    DB2 9.5/9.7 on Unix/AIX 6.1/Linux

Here are few main ones: Others can add the rest-->
    1> COMPRESSION is available. (VALUE/ROW Compression). In V9.5 even Automatic COMPRESSION is available. Table Size can be compressed upto 65-85%.
    2> Range-Partitioning is available.
    3> Automatic Memory tuning known as STMM. It can set the key memory parameters including Bufferpool based on WorkLoad.
    4> SNAPSHOT Backup is available now.
    5> AUTOMATIC Maintenance including REORG.
    5> Many key DB/DBM parameters are either discontinued or deprecated. Some of them are APP_GROUP_MEM_SZ, DB2LINUXAIO etc, which are no longer relevant.

The list is quite long, but the above ones are the one which I come across very frequently..so mentioning only them.

Jayanta Datta
    DB2 UDB DBA
    IBM India, Global Delivery
    New Delhi

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkhamDBA

We are getting ready for migration from v8.2 to v9.5 and I am doing research on v9.5 new features comparing with v8.2. V9.5 documentation mentions what's new in v9.5 comparing with v9.1 but I need the difference between 8.2 and 9.5. It would be too much to process what's new in 9.1 and then what's new in 9.5. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Translation: I am too lazy to read manuals for both DB2 9 and DB2 9.5. Can somebody read them for me and post a summary while I'm playing solitaire at my employer's expense.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Quote Originally Posted by n_i
    Translation: I am too lazy to read manuals for both DB2 9 and DB2 9.5. Can somebody read them for me and post a summary while I'm playing solitaire at my employer's expense.
    You misunderstood my question, Nick. I am not asking for a list of differences. What I am looking for is how to do this research the best way. I can read upgrades to 9.1 and then upgrades to 9.5 but may be there are documents somewhere with the summary 8.2->9.5 or something like this...
    Last edited by MarkhamDBA; 12-16-08 at 11:29.
    DB2 9.5/9.7 on Unix/AIX 6.1/Linux

Quote Originally Posted by MarkhamDBA
    You misunderstood my question, Nick. I am not asking for a list of differences. What I am looking for is how to do this research the best way. I can read upgrades to 9.1 and then upgrades to 9.5 but may be there are documents somewhere with the summary 8.2->9.5 or something like this...
    There are docs which explain how to upgrade, but not any official docs that I know that shows feature differences.

The other main differences are that 9.5 uses the threaded model for connections, and there are lots of Oracle syntax compatibility features in 9.5. There are also more things that can be changed with alter statement, that previously required a table to be dropped and recreated.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

The best way is to go step by step: read the What's new in 9.1 and then continue with What's new in 9.5. Any other list can hardly claim to be complete - or it would be at least as long as the two lists combined. So I don't see a point of searching for such a consolidated list.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development