Question Unanswered: New partition = Level 0 backup

Hi,

I'm new to Informix so sorry if this is a dumb question:

After creating or removing a new table partition, is it necessary to take a level 0 backup? Ideally I'd like to take a level 0 once or twice a week and use level 1 and level 2 backups in between. However, as we partition by day I'm concerned that we will require a level 0 backup each day if adding a new partition invalidates the old level 0.

I've searched for an answer to this but cannot find anything - any help will be much appreciated.

We're using IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 11.50.FC3

Thanks in advance,

Provided Answers: 1
    If you add chunks and/or dbsapces you have to do level 0 backup.
    If you do not perform level 0 achive, and something goes wrong - you would have problems. So, after adding chunk and/or dbspace do a level 0 backup (period).
    HTH

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

My understanding is that a table fragment (partition) exists within the dbspace, so a new table partition that is created (each day in our case) should reside in the assigned dbspace.

Therefore, as no new dbspaces are being created, or chunks added to the dbspace, a level 0 backup shouldn't be needed.

If that's faulty logic, please let me know!

Thanks again.

Provided Answers: 1
    You're right. If you do not add chunk(nor dbspace) you do not have to do level 0 backup.

If your table is growing so fast, that every day one extent is added, maybe you did wrong estimation of extent size (you can assign first extent size and next extent size during create table).

HTH

Once again, thank you very much for your time. Your help is much appreciated .

Our fragmentation policy is by design. We hit the 16 million page limit when we fragmented by month and had to change to day partitioning. It's working well. Our backup strategy is being developed - your input has been of great help.

Regards,