Unanswered: Blocking due to pageiolatch_sh waits

Hi Everyone,

We recently deployed a major software release, and ever since then we having been having huge issues with blocking due to pageiolatch_sh waits. I don't think there is a problem with disk performance since it started happening right after the release, but I suppose it's possible.

My question is: are there any tools or articles out there that can help me focus my investigation? I've been finding a lot of "it could be caused by this, or this, or this", but nothing to actually help me pinpoint the source of the problem (for 2000). I've found a bunch of articles out there for 2005, but not 2000. The entire database is bad and needs to be rewritten, but the database is huge and I need to fix this yesterday. Rolling back the release is not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance,

Provided Answers: 11
    I think there is a disk problem. More specifically, it appears you have deployed something that does table scans. Maybe a few big ones, maybe a lot of little ones. Hard to say from this information. Run a profiler trace, and pick out queries/stored procedures that are racking up a bunch of reads. See if you can rewrite those, or help them limp along with an index.

Long Island
    Did you upg to SP4 for 2000, I've had many issues with i/o waits with SP4, they appear as blocking connections in EM.