Unanswered: DB2 V8 z/OS performance monitoring

I know this will sound strange but I need to tell my management I did ask.

Is anyone aware of open source products for DB2 V8 z/OS performance monitoring like Omegamon or CA Insight?

Please don't make fun of me for asking. I'm sure you have all been in my position at one time or another.

I think you mean "free". Open source has a different meaning in that the source code is available (in addition to it being free), which I am sure you don't care about and don't want to mess with.

But to answer your intended question, I don't know of any free software like that (but I have not looked around for any).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

I really appreciate your reply.

I don't necessarily mean free. I'm attempting to do due-diligence so I can answer my management's very specific question.

At the same time we are looking at the CA tools, IBM tools, and BMC.

We have CA Insight. We are going to look at IBM Omegamon and their Query Monitor tools. We are going to ask what BMC might have.

Our current problem is visibility of problem SQL after-the-fact. Insight does not do very well at that. I'd welcome anyone's comments about what they like or dislike.

Thanks,

Having been to Columbus GA, I doubt seriously that your management knows what "open source" means. It is often a vernacular to refer to free software, but in fact it means that the source code is made available, in addition to any object code.

So are you telling us that if we know of some free software to do what you want, you are not interested unless the source code is available?
    M. A. Feldman

Hope you enjoyed Columbus.

Again, I am simply doing due-diligence.
    Now I can honestly say I asked and no one knows of anything that is open source that is applicable. I know what I would think of someone asking this question and that is why I asked for people's patience.

Let me change the focus to address what would be helpful now that I've got the initial question behind us. If someone has some definite likes/dislikes, what you use or what you have gotten rid of regarding performance monitoring tools like CA Insight, IBM Omegamon, IBM Query Monitor, etc., that would be useful.

We have had some performance slowdowns due to "rogue" queries and we find it difficult to identify them after-the-fact. We are looking for something to assist us with that.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by AflacDBA
    Hope you enjoyed Columbus.
    I was sitting at a Waffle House in Columbus with 3 of my colleagues (we were from out of town) when a woman came up to us and said that we looked like IT people. When we confirmed that we were, she said that she desperately needed to find some java programmers for Aflac. We told here that we were DBA's and SA's--no java programmers.
    M. A. Feldman

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    I was sitting at a Waffle House in Columbus with 3 of my colleagues (we were from out of town) when a woman came up to us and said that we looked like IT people. When we confirmed that we were, she said that she desperately needed to find some java programmers for Aflac. We told here that we were DBA's and SA's--no java programmers.
    Did you look like IT guys because you were the only one's in a Waffle House that were not wearing camoflage?

As you might be able to tell, I work for Aflac. The challenges are many but we have made some great strides in the database area here in the last few years. From a DBA perspective we get a lot of pretty good stuff to work on and unlike a lot of the economy, we are hanging in pretty good. I also have a really good team of talented DBA's to work with.

This post is to see what others are doing to monitor and indentify the specific SQL statements that are causing spikes in CPU and I/O. The executive managment requested we look into tools to quickly identify the source of problems after they have disappeared (the mystery spikes).