Thread: Future of LUW

Unanswered: Future of LUW

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what would be the near and long term future of DB2 LUW since IBM is marketing Informix over DB2 for OLTP systems.. I just went through an article at techtarget.com which makes me think that..

Regards,
    ekv

IBM is made up of many different employees, and they each have their own ideas, and their own agenda (just like everyone else). That includes the person or group that wrote the article you read. The idea that there is an "IBM" position on anything is a complete total myth.

DB2 LUW dwarfs Informix in terms of revenue, market share, new licenses, R&D, and every other measure one can think of, so your idea is completely and totally ludicrous.

IBM would like see Informix sales rise because right now it is costing IBM more money to maintain it than they get in Informix revenues, and it would be very ugly for the remaining customers if IBM pulled the plug on it (especially since IBM promised several years ago not to do that).

Use it in moderation.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Marcus,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... I, as a DB2 DBA was a little worried as I, like many others have put all my eggs in the DB2 basket. Can't imagine moving to any other RDBMS.

Thanks again, you just made my day

Regards,
    ekv