Unanswered: Executing a function and accessing its output... Help please...

Hi,

This probably sounds like a newbie question, but I've searched quite a few sites (including this one) and am struggling to firm-up exactly how I code what I'm trying do.

Using 'sqlplus' I want to execute an Oracle Function that needs 5 input parameters and produces 1 output parameter, which is a single digit integer (essentially a return code).

I'm running all this from within a Unix Shell Script, accessing the Oracle DB via an SQL client.

The input parameters are being generated within the Shell Script and I want to be able to access the output parameter and use it in the Shell Script.

Assuming:-
    The name of the Oracle Function that has been created is called 'my_ora_func'

The input parameters, within the Function are called:-
    V_Iparam1,
    V_Iparam2,
    V_Iparam3,
    V_Iparam4,
    V_Iparam5,

and the output parameter is called:-
    V_Oparam

The input parameters, generated within my script for the Oracle Function are:-
    S_param1,
    S_param2,
    S_param3,
    S_param4,
    S_param5,

and the output parameter is called:-
    S_Outparam

I'm coding the 'sqlplus' commands within a Unix Shell Script, creating a 'here' document like below.

S_Outparam=`sqlplus user/pass@dbprod << EOF
    exec my_ora_func('$S_param1','$S_param2','$S_param3','$ S_param4','$S_param5')
    EOF`

But this poses two questions.

Firstly, Is this the best/correct way to get the output parameter from the Oracle Function into the Shell Output Parameter called "S_Outparam"?
    Secondly, I'd like to explicitly assign the Shell Input Parameters to the correct Oracle Function Input Parameters in the 'exec' line.
    How do I go about that? Something like this???

exec my_ora_func('V_Iparam1'='$S_param1','V_Iparam2'='$ S_param2','V_Iparam3'='$S_param3','V_Iparam4'='$S_ param4','V_Iparam5'='$S_param5')

Hope someone could answer my hopefully easy questions.

Kind regards
    Steve.

Talking Getting hot...

You are on the right track:
    Code:
    S_Outparam=`sqlplus -s user/pass@dbprod << EOF
    set echo off pages 0 feed off ver off
    select my_ora_func('$S_param1','$S_param2','$S_param3','$ S_param4','$S_param5') from dual;
    EOF`
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thanks 'LKBrwn_DBA'.

I can see why I might need the '-s', but why the:-

'select funcname('p1','p2') from dual;'

command, instead of an 'exec' or 'execute' command? I read up about the 'dummy' dual table.

Also, any idea how I can explicity state which shell var I want to be assigned to which func var? I would rather not rely on knowing the order of the function vars, just incase someone comes along and changes the function.

Kind regards
    Steve.

Talking Exec or not exec..that is the question.

You cannot "exec" a function unless you use the following syntax:

Code:
    sqlplus ..etc
    var result number;
    exec :result:=my_ora_func('$S_param1','$S_param2','$S_param3','$ S_param4','$S_param5');
    print :result
    exit
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Also, any idea how I can explicity state which shell var I want to be assigned to which func var?
    Use named notation for procedure parameters instead of the positional one, something like
    Code:
    my_ora_func( V_Iparam1=>'$S_param1', V_Iparam1=>'$S_param2' )
    . For more information, have a look into PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference. It is part of Oracle documentation, available e.g. online at http://tahiti.oracle.com/.

Thanks to both 'flyboy' & ''LKBrwn_DBA'.
    I'll take your advice and see how I get on.

Kind regards
    Steve.