Unanswered: I would like to open a strange DB file, need help.

Hello,

I have some files ".db" which by a hard investigation they appeared to be SQLite Databases.
    They are part of a computer program which was provided some years ago by a local phone company. Those DB have the phone directory and thats exactly what I want (for good reasons!).

The files: SCREEN CAPTURE

I've tried to open it with SQLite Admin but I could not even see the table contents, the only thing I saw was this:

WHAT I SAW (SQLite Admin)

I´ve also tried with SQLite Database Browser and this time only numbers (1) and strange characters appeared.

WHAT I SAW (SQLite Data. Broser)

Maybe somebody knows how to read the data or at least can help me resolving this.

Thanks,
    Marcos !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sinttulo2cc9.png   sinttulo4oe4.png   sinttulo6nq0.png  
    Last edited by mroski; 12-23-08 at 15:16.

I moved this thread to the Other PC Databases forum, as they are more likely to be from a 'desktop' database, and not files from a database server.

.db is also the file extension for Borland Paradox databases. Wotsit.org has a link to the various Paradox formats listed http://www.wotsit.org/list.asp?fc=6.

Keep in mind that .db is a common extension for custom applications as well.

If you open one of the db files with a hex editor like HexEdit or winhex, it may give you an indication of the database type. Try this and post a screen snapshot of the results... (Be careful to not make any changes though.)

Per the above spec info, if the file is a paradox data file, the first two bytes (offset 0000) are an integer which will contain the record length for the records in this table, the integer at offset 0002 is the header size (usually 2048,) and the byte at offset 0004 will be 0 or 2. 0 means that the file is an indexed .DB file, 2 means that the .DB file is unindexed. (A value of 1, or 3 through 8 mean that the file is an index file, with a file extension of .PX, .Xnn, .Ynn, .Xnn, .XGn, .YGn, or XGn respectively. (where n is a number 0 through 9)

Excel can import a good many different formats via ODBC. The office installation disks have the option of including quite a few ODBC drivers (including, I believe, paradox) during the install or repair of the installation, as does Visual Studio 6. (I believe the same is true of dotNet versions of visual studio.) You might also check the Borland web site.
    Last edited by loquin; 12-23-08 at 13:01.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Loquin,

Thanks for moving my thread, I really didn't know where to post it. Also for the info.

I have downloaded HexEdit and opened one of the DB files with it.
    THIS IS THE RESULT

I believe the DB is SQLite, right?

What should I do now?
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sinttulo3oy5.png  
    Last edited by mroski; 12-23-08 at 15:14.

What is the result? I don't see anything. Please edit your post, select the advanced button, then attach the screen-dump file to the message. You can upload images from imageshack (By posting inline images as you did in the first post, it makes this site's thread dependent on imageshack's servers for content here. We have no control over their servers, nor for how long the images will be retained. Our posts will hopefully be here forever (assuming no database crashes) and we would like to display the entire content of the thread forever as well, no matter what imageshack does with the images.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sinttulo2cc9.png  
    Last edited by loquin; 12-23-08 at 14:41. Reason: add an example image
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Screen capture fixed. I will also attach the other images to the post.
    Last edited by mroski; 12-23-08 at 16:16.

A

Any help?
    Thanks.