Question Unanswered: Instance Name on SQL server 2005

Dear All,

I want to install wsus server, as WSUS installation guide, I got the step that made me confused. Here is step:

"If you do not wish to use Windows Internal Database, you must provide a SQL Server instance for WSUS to use, by clicking Using an existing database server on this computer and typing the instance name in the box. The instance name should appear as <serverName>\<instanceName>, where serverName is the name of the server and instanceName is the name of the SQL instance. Make your selection, and then click Next"

Generally, if I want to connect database on remote computer ( Database Server), I just type <serverName> without <instanceName>. ( I just use default instance name).

FYI; I have 4 applications that to connect the database server, each applications use different database.

Is it no problem if I install wsus and connect to the database server by typing <serverName> only? or
    Should I create new instance name for installing wsus application, and how to do it?

kindly please help me.

Thanks,
    ns

If default instance is not required , u can uninstall the existing (if its the only one SQL server ) and install a new version of named instance with required name

Quote Originally Posted by nastit
    Is it no problem if I install wsus and connect to the database server by typing <serverName> only?

That should work fine. There's no need to create an entirely seperate instance just for a single application (unless you have a specific reason to do so).