Unanswered: Need database of english dictionary

Hi All

Please Help me i am in need of a programatically accessible database of english dictionary

can anyone help me db can irrespective of any platform

Regards
    Hafeel
    Last edited by r937; 12-26-08 at 04:49.

Provided Answers: 59
    depends what you need the dictionary for
    dictionaries are expensive to collate and compile, they are not, as far as Im aware free to download, and if they were I'd be suspicious of the content. there are sme cut down dictionaries available

THE definitive English dictionary is OED (Oxford English Dictionary), other countries such as the US have their own variants.

however it depends what you want to do, they may be other ways round the problem
    if its 'just' to check speling you could use somethign like the official scrabble words list (SOWPODS IIRC), it list soem 267,000 words (some plurals, some alternative spellings and some variant/derivations of words).. so say some 150,000 odd words.. but no defintion of the word or guide on how to pronounce it, no synonyms etc......

of course there is google
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by hafeelpn
    i am in need of a programatically accessible database of english dictionary
    Most Unix systems have a dictionary, often in the location /usr/dict/words. You could process each word and put it in a table of words.

Strangely you'll find that the more words your dictionary contains then the fewer bad spellings it will find as almost any combination of letters produces a real word in a sufficiently large dictionary - if you don't believe me then I'll just say 'Therf werre eyght bokes' and leave it at that.

I agree with healdem in saying that having the words in a database table is unlikely to be a good solution though. What is it you're trying to do? Most people have easy access to spelling tools already.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    speling you could use somethign
    Well most of us

Provided Answers: 54
    Would the Wordlist be sufficient?

-PatP

Thanks for the post

The proposed program is for editing the contents of the dictionary
    in which i want the full controll of the words and meaning which can be edited

Please help me

Need Database of English Dictionary

Hi All

Please Help me i am in need of a programatically accessible database of english dictionary

can anyone help me db can irrespective of any platform

The proposed program is for editing the contents of the dictionary
    in which i want the full controll of the words and meaning which can be edited

Please help me

Hafeel

Provided Answers: 54
    I'd just start with an empty shell then. If you start with any existing dictionary, you run into complicated IP (Intellectual Property) issues determining who owns the contents of the dictionary. If you start fresh with no content from anyone other than yourself, then you own the dictionary.

-PatP